• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

"Bog Water" experiment

cafelinhchi

Apprentice
Reaction score
I always feel a little guilty when I pour a beer, then toss the dregs in the sink and rinse the bottle. Those little yeasty buggers worked so hard producing a great beer, and this is how we repay them? Of course, a brewer can only use so much yeast. Some things will always end up destined for the drain, but once in a while I get the notion to rescue some of my yeasty friends from such a fate.
So I was celebrating a successful brew day, and opened a bottle of Beau's Bog Water. Besides being a very interesting ale, the last time I had one I noticed that the bottles contain a small ammount of yeast sediment, just like a bottle-conditioned homebrew. I decided to save the end of the bottle, and since I hadn't finished all of the cleanup from my brew day, I went and poured the trub from my brew kettle into a 2L pitcher and allowed it to settle out. This gave me enough clear wort to re-fill the bottle of Bog Water. I capped it with some sanitized foil, and let it do it's thing. The yeast were still quite lively enough to start fermenting, and now I've got a new strain of yeast growing, as well as a beer that will be fun to compare to the same wort fermented with regular US-05.

Back