• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

WILL LAGER CARBONATE WITHOUT ADDING YEAST?

krsna7

New Forum Member
Reaction score
i have made an oktoberfest/marzen. i lagered the beer for 3 weeks at around 34F with my temp controlled fridge. i have read and heard that there could still be enough yeast in suspension to carbonate the beer even though it is clear. i primed and bottled, waited a week just to check (patience is not one of my strong points) there was a hiss when i opened the bottle, but the beer was still flat with no head to speak of.. i know its early and ive heard this can take 5-6 more weeks to fully carbonate. so my question is , should i be good just to let this beer sit and carbonate? i have other beer to drink so im not in a huge hurry on this, i just want to nip a problem in the bud early on , in case i need to open them and add some yeast.
thanks in advance for your responses

Scott is correct...  I find it takes a minimum of 3 wks to get decent carb from my lagers.  After 3 wks I will move 3 or 4 in the frig to try.  The rest I leave until I have more room in the frig.  I also try to keep the carb temps at room temperature (65-70 or so)..

I agree with carbing at room temperature!  This gives the yeast a chance to carb up your beer more quickly and doesn't affect the quality.  The lagering process during fermentation has done what is needed to get that crisp, clean flavor you are after, because the yeast have already cleaned up after themselves.

I like to wait three weeks for my ales and at least a month for my lagers.

I'm planning on making my first lager this month and was wondering, if I bottle and put the bottles in the fridge will it still carbonate or will that be too cold for the yeast? I don't have a large enough fridge to hold a carboy is the reason why i'm asking.

Oddball said:
I'm planning on making my first lager this month and was wondering, if I bottle and put the bottles in the fridge will it still carbonate or will that be too cold for the yeast? I don't have a large enough fridge to hold a carboy is the reason why i'm asking.

No that's too cold but you can carbonate at room temp then once theyre all carbonated move them to the fridge and let them condition in there.

Thanks Brewmex, that's how i'll probably try doing it then

Back