• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

**Rant** About IPA as a marketing tool

The new BJCP Guidelines due out this month (maybe) will have several new IPA designations. First, the term IPA is not spelled out as this style never went to India, but represents a style "balance." The English India Pale Ale is separated out to the English style ales. The big addition will be the Specialty IPA category where you will find Black IPA, Brown IPA, White IPA, Rye IPA, Belgian IPA, and Red IPA. When entering your beer into a Homebrew Contest, you will state whether the Specialty IPA is a session, normal or double strength.

As of yet, there is not a Zima IPA. That one will have to go into Category 34c, Experimental Beer, if the draft guidelines are accepted.

I don't mind them calling them IPA's as long as they fit in the style definition.  If they don't, then call them something ELSE!  As far as balance is concerned, I find American versions are WAY too bitter and destroy my pallet.  That is NOT balance from my point of view.

I was having a discussion with some people at the brewery about my sensitivity to the American out of balance styles when a co-worker (a brewer himself) reamed me out saying that I don't like hops!  I love hops, as long as they are in balance with the malt.  I just think that the 85% of non-supertasters just don't get why I don't like chewing on a grapefruit rind.

Yes, that is the "balance" in question.

"A decidedly hoppy and bitter, moderately strong American pale ale, showcasing modern American and New World hop varieties. The balance is hop-forward, with a clean fermentation profile, dryish finish, and clean, supporting malt allowing a creative range of hop character to shine through."

Yes, this means hoppy. It will be common for all forms of "IPA."

ghwren said:
The new BJCP Guidelines due out this month (maybe)...

...Reflect commercial brewing, not define it.

This discussion is about how those descriptions became necessary and how it's just a muddy pool of marketing tools. The BJCP is simply trying to reflect that and verbalize what's happening. So, it's a bit off topic.

It points back to the brewers themselves to create NEW category names for their hop forward styles, not just bolt on three letters.

I had my first session IPA from a neighborhood brew pub the other night. It was more malty than hoppy.  Very little hop aroma, flavor and mild bitterness...I thought of this post.

brewfun said:
It points back to the brewers themselves to create NEW category names for their hop forward styles, not just bolt on three letters.

Thank you, my point exactly.

I agree 100%. Pure Hype . Give me those dark brown ales, trappist belgian quad, pilsner, lager, dark lager,wheat beer, saison, stout and Irish Reds instead. I have many recipes on beersmith cloud, and none are IPA. I've never made one and I've brewed since 1989. I don't plan on making one. 
Real IPA, or IIPA, are few and far between. After having tasted Mad Tom and Twice as Mad Tom from Muskoka Brewery, which are truly hoptastic and full bodied, and I know there are other good ones; but  most other IPA  doesn't cut it.
I must mention, though that I like the new hop flavour trend of citrus and fruit aromas such as Galaxy. As such I have revised a munich lager recipe to include galaxy hops and their unique flavour and aroma. A refreshing change for a pint or 2. Then, back to the nobles which i love...

Back