• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

SMaSH for Experimenting with Wet Hops

jkoss1

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Can anyone share or suggest a recipe for experimenting with wet hops?  The hop farmer harvested Columbus last fall, vacuum sealed and froze them.  He doesn't know the composition (AA & Beta) so we are hoping to experiment with a few bags & drink the results.  Looking for hop influence rather than malt if that makes sense.

So they weren't dried? just frozen green?

Just use the default Columbus AA in beersmith with a year's degradation on the AA%. Wet hops are about 5x heavier than dried hops so you would need quite a bit. I like using 8oz of dried hops in a recipe, so for me that would be about 40 oz of green hops, which would probably turn out disgusting due to all the freezer burnt green matter. So perhaps go delicate on the malt so you can go delicate on the hops?

I don't have any good recipes with Columbus. SO perhaps a small batch just to get an idea.

I think Snake Dog ipa by Flying Dog brewery is all columbus. It is good, but it has a very sharp resiny bite from the hops.

Here is one you might try. I like the idea of using a non-wet hop for bittering so it doesn't boil the vegetable flavor all that long.
http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/26534/naughty-kitty-snake-dog-ipa

Back