• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Small bug for Mash Out step when RIM'ing

seseeley

Apprentice
Reaction score
I have a RIM system so when I do a mash out step I'm not adding any hot liquor (infusion).
I set the Mash Step Type to Temperature (not Infusion or Decoction) and adjust the "Water to add" to 0 or empty.
I click OK and see that I'm instructed to "Add -0.01 qt of water and heat to 168.0 F over 3...
I edit the mash out step again and see the "Water to add" automatically adjust to -0.01 with a red dot error and a error message "Can't have a negative infusion volume - add more water!".
The only way to get out of this error condition is to set "Water to add" to 0.01.  Of course I still see the incorrect instruction to ad 0.01 qt of water.

What should a RIM'er like me do?

Is this mash profile a batch sparge? If so, is the "Use Equal Batches" checked, but the "Drain Tun..." box unchecked?

What you're describing is an error that shows up when the mash volume exceeds half the total needed to fill your kettle. Either having both boxes checked or unchecked resolves the conflict.

Hi,

Sorry I haven't responded sooner but was away.

I used a Temperature Mash, 1 step, Light Body mash profile to start with.  I use a RIM system.  So other than dough-in I don't add water to increase temperature.  And I fly sparg.

What mash profile type should I use for a RIM system?  RIM systems are closely related to HERM systems but without heat exchangers.

Thanks, Steve

Forgot to mention both the "Use Equal Batches" and the "Drain mash Tun..." boxes are unchecked.

brewfun said:
Is this mash profile a batch sparge? If so, is the "Use Equal Batches" checked, but the "Drain Tun..." box unchecked?

What you're describing is an error that shows up when the mash volume exceeds half the total needed to fill your kettle. Either having both boxes checked or unchecked resolves the conflict.

If you fly sparge, you should see the fly sparge instructions under the temperature window. If not, make sure the Batch sparge and BIAB boxes are unchecked.

It doesn't matter what kind of recirculative mash you're doing or if it were direct fire. The Temperature steps are designed for that. If you are set for fly sparge, then I believe you're seeing a bug based on rounding error, somewhere.

OTOH, you that 1/3 ounce of first runnings and make a very tiny Hot Scotchy.  ;)

Yes I see the "Fly sparge with 10.30 gal water at 168.0F" instructions.  I've made this recipe shared in the cloud so maybe you can verify that this is a bug.  The recipe name is B99 Kolsch by seseeley.  I would just like to confirm this isn't my mistake.  Thanks, Steve

I took a look at it and it is indeed a rounding error, but it's correctable in the recipe.

Go to the mash tab.
First, uncheck the "Adjust Mash Vol..." box.
Open the second mash step.
Change the liquor ratio to 1.2351.
Save and close the step.
Recheck the "Adjust Mash Vol..." box.

The annoying number should go away and stay gone.

Occasionally, I run into similar issues where rounding error creeps to a point where it's more than annoying. I've found that adding an extra decimal place to what I want to see helps prevent it. I can see the higher resolution number and decide to round up or not, instead of letting BS do it for me.

Yep this took care of the problem.  A person needs a map of what fields affect which calculations or a whole lot of experience with BS to know these tricks.

One trick under my belt,
Thanks,
Steve

Back