• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Dry Hop Times

BeerSmith

Staff member
Administrator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I usually dry hop for about a week, but some people have recommended longer...

I know some of you are hop heads out there - what do you recommend for dry hopping and getting the most hop aroma in your beer?

Brad

I'm a confirmed hophead, but I don't dry hop. I tried it a couple times and didn't like the grassy flavor that I got. Instead I use large post-boil additions or a hop back to get my hop aroma -- that works well for me. But, I will try dry hopping again in the near future -- hopefully I'll change my mind.

:)
Well I guess it depends upon what type of beer I am making at the time, so far only a week, but I am going to make an Imperial IPA using high alpha acid hops probably either green bullet, sticklebract or suoer alpha from New Zealand. I figure on adding at least 1 tbs per minute of boil for at least 70 mins. I may even FWH with one of these, I will dry hop possibly with either willamette or liberty. At least one maybe two weeks. ;D

Hi all,
Thought I'd chime in with this one.  I really dig hop aroma, REALLY dig it.  
I've only used hop pellets and it took almost 2 weeks and a swirl of the carboy every day to get them to settle out, but...
I dry hopped an IPA for 2 weeks, it worked perfectly, except I'd have increased the amount for more hop punch.
I've got a Hazed clone going in to secondary today that will also be dry hopped for at least two weeks.  I'll let you know.
T

If the Hazed clone works out well (and I'm assuming this is Hazed and Infused, right?), post the recipe - I'd love to see that!

cj,
It turned out good as a hoppy beer, but not quite where I want it for a Hazed clone.  I didn't have access to centennial hops for the secondary, so just used 2oz of cascade... aroma is ... well, too cascade-y.
I'll still post if if you're interested.
cheers
t

Back