Author Topic: Dry Hop Times  (Read 4892 times)

Offline BeerSmith

• Brewer, Author, Patriot
  • BeerSmith Administrator
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • BeerSmith - take the guesswork out of brewing!
    • BeerSmith
Dry Hop Times
« on: November 03, 2003, 12:55:38 PM »
I usually dry hop for about a week, but some people have recommended longer...

I know some of you are hop heads out there - what do you recommend for dry hopping and getting the most hop aroma in your beer?

Brad
Get a free trial of BeerSmith 3 here

cj_in_j

Re: Dry Hop Times
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2003, 12:59:18 AM »
I'm a confirmed hophead, but I don't dry hop. I tried it a couple times and didn't like the grassy flavor that I got. Instead I use large post-boil additions or a hop back to get my hop aroma -- that works well for me. But, I will try dry hopping again in the near future -- hopefully I'll change my mind.

Guy_Fawkes

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2003, 02:07:40 PM »
 :)
Well I guess it depends upon what type of beer I am making at the time, so far only a week, but I am going to make an Imperial IPA using high alpha acid hops probably either green bullet, sticklebract or suoer alpha from New Zealand. I figure on adding at least 1 tbs per minute of boil for at least 70 mins. I may even FWH with one of these, I will dry hop possibly with either willamette or liberty. At least one maybe two weeks. ;D

ttreml3

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2003, 08:07:52 AM »
Hi all,
Thought I'd chime in with this one.  I really dig hop aroma, REALLY dig it.  
I've only used hop pellets and it took almost 2 weeks and a swirl of the carboy every day to get them to settle out, but...
I dry hopped an IPA for 2 weeks, it worked perfectly, except I'd have increased the amount for more hop punch.
I've got a Hazed clone going in to secondary today that will also be dry hopped for at least two weeks.  I'll let you know.
T

cj_in_j

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2003, 11:05:44 AM »
If the Hazed clone works out well (and I'm assuming this is Hazed and Infused, right?), post the recipe - I'd love to see that!

ttreml3

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2003, 04:25:05 AM »
cj,
It turned out good as a hoppy beer, but not quite where I want it for a Hazed clone.  I didn't have access to centennial hops for the secondary, so just used 2oz of cascade... aroma is ... well, too cascade-y.
I'll still post if if you're interested.
cheers
t