• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Pre Boil Mash estimates when adding sugar

drakkar

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I am new to the software, but my first batch had an estimated pre boil gravity of 1.070. I got a 1.042. Post boil I was much closer (1.072 vs 1.08). I understand my efficiencies were low, it was my first time with my current setup. I dont know why me pre-boil number was SO far off though. I am guessing that the software includes the sugars (I was brewing a belgian with 2.5 lbs of sugar) in "pre-boil" even though they are added in the boil.

Thoughts, or suggestions?

drakkar said:
I am guessing that the software includes the sugars (I was brewing a belgian with 2.5 lbs of sugar) in "pre-boil" even though they are added in the boil.

Correct guess.

The program simplifies gravities to always include all fermentables, regardless of where or when they are added.

Because of how Beersmith works, when I add a fermentable in the boil, but need to no the estimated preboil gravity, I create a temporary copy of the recipe and delete the boil sugars from the recipe.  This gives me what my estimated preboil gravity should be, so that when I take my measurements during my brewing session, I'll know if I hit my target preboil gravity or not.

If you mark the sugar for addition post boil, the pre-boil gravity will be calculated without the sugar.  The issue then becomes that the post boil gravity DOES reflect the sugar addition, which is OK if you add it in during the latter stages of the boil, but not if you add it post-boil.

Oginme said:
If you mark the sugar for addition post boil, the pre-boil gravity will be calculated without the sugar. 

Oh, yeah. Good catch, Oginme!

Back