• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

mash conversion %

Not so patiently awaiting the release of the Malt book. It keeps getting pushed back on amazon

Another thought is how accurate is your scale? I just got a couple standards from amazon though I have yet to throw them on.

Well turns out not too accurate, though it used to be.  I used one of those hanging Hobart grocery scales cause it was so cool and it was cheap on ebay.  It was good when I bought it a while back, now its off 10%+ right at the sweet spot of where I measure, 20 some pounds.  I guess that will throw things off just a bit. Back to the digitals.  Bummer that I checked my water volumes in the mashtun first.  Spent half the night weighing out water by the gallon(s).  Fun Fun Fun!

I gotta check mine too. I got %99 mash eff on last batch that filled cooler mash tun so high that I couldn't put the top on.

99 is a gift.  Probably within measurement error, as least for me.  I got 99 today on the hydro & 98 on the refractometer once I corrected my scales.  While it was once fun to measure all day long, and constantly lose temps, and extend mash times by a ridiculous amount and making my brewday 9 hours long I am going to get away from it.  too time consuming. I'm leaning towards the table is good to correct a problem, but not needed every brewday.  I think brewfun said your good to go if your hitting your gravities, and I am by .01.  I get caught up in hitting perfection, and its just not gonna happen.  Too many measurement flaws.

whats your measure method?  I been using the strainer and eyedropper to pull a sample,  it makes you stir the mash before sampling and its always low no matter what from the top of the mash, and always high from the drain port.  so screw it.  Its always in the sweet spot when measuring from the first run kettle.

My wife doesn't know anything about beer making except what I have driveled on about, and even she had the sense to say today, why don't you just go back to making beer?  She should be in a book.

I just use beersmith to measure. I put starting boil volume and OG and it tells me Mash Eff. I tend to walk away from the mash tun for 1-3 hours on brew day so I am not really worried about conversion.

9 hours is a lot. My advice would be to get started with electric brewing. I can tell you're propane just by how long you are taking. Propane is a joke.

It's like checking PH. you do it a couple times and get an idea. Then you just kinda go with it and know it's all good.

Back