• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

american imperial red ale feedback

toklas

New Forum Member
Reaction score
wanted to get feedback on a recipe im working on for an american imperial red ale. going for a balanced profile with some maltyness.

Style: American-Style Amber/Red Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.77 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.98 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal 
Bottling Volume: 4.55 gal
Estimated OG: 1.066 SG
Estimated Color: 15.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 41.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 78.2 %
Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                  Name                                    Type          #        %/IBU       
10 lbs                Red-X (12.0 SRM)                        Grain        1        74.1 %       
2 lbs                Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)            Grain        2        14.8 %       
1 lbs                Caramel Malt - 40L 6-Row (Briess) (40.0  Grain        3        7.4 %       
8.0 oz                Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM)                Grain        4        3.7 %       
0.50 oz              Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min    Hop          5        16.6 IBUs   
1.00 oz              Mt. Hood [6.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min        Hop          6        15.3 IBUs   
1.00 oz              Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min      Hop          7        9.1 IBUs     
0.25 tsp              Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins)              Fining        8        -           
1.0 pkg              San Diego Super Yeast (White Labs #WLP09 Yeast        9        -           

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 13 lbs 8.0 oz
----------------------------
Name              Description                            Step Temperat Step Time   
Mash In          Add 5.02 gal of water at 165.7 F        152.0 F      60 min       

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (Drain mash tun , 5.17gal) of 168.0 F water

Hey, check out this thread I started earlier this year regarding Red X malt.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/red-x-malt-458487/

For me, personally, I found the malt to be more of a gimmick. I didnt think it had any better taste, and for the price I personally decided not to use it.
But there were a few folks there who thought it was pretty good.

From my experience I would say you are probably better off by subbing the base malt for NW Pale Ale malt. It's essentially the same as Maris Otter, but right around the same price as pale 2 row. You can add a little cara pils and a touch of special B to get the color you want.

But that is only my opinion and you may actually like the red x. If you do end up brewing the recipe you posted I would like to hear your results!

Another thing, too, is to consider another yeast. I've use the super yeast and it will probably drop your FG much lower than you want for a brew with balanced malt backbone. It's great for west coast style double IPAs!

thanks for the feedback... at this point my lhbs has red-x for a really good price so i'm going to try it. but I will change out the yeast.

i think ill switch it over to ....
California Ale V Yeast WLP051

Back