• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Christmas Ale Help

Baron Von MunchKrausen

Grandmaster Brewer
Master Brewer
Reaction score
Please help me design or find an all-grain Christmas Ale for the upcoming season.
I've searched through the recipe database and can't seem to find what I'm looking for. Many are overly complicated with too many ingredients that look like they would compete with each other to make a muddled flavor. Don't want to dump a spice rack in. Just looking for a minimal array of spice (has to include cinnamon) and piney (perhaps chinook hops?). No honey or fruit.
None of my previous brews have delved into spices before. Any help very much appreciated.

My Gingerbread lager tiurned out really well.  Recipe attached. 

I'm doing it again this year, but I'm going to do it as an ale.

Attachments

• Gingerbread Ale.bsmx
    22.9 KB · Views: 238
My Christmas beer will be Chocolate Milk Stout. This will be served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

Recipe attached:

Attachments

• cms.bsmx
    19.3 KB · Views: 211
Hi Baron Von MunchKrausen,
I started the same journey 3 years ago and experimented a lott with the spices with good results.
This year I will brew a 20L batch of christmass beer as well. I will add the spices to the secondary as a 0,3L "spice tea" (boiled 20 min).
I will go for the following spices:
- 2.5 tsp of grated cinnamom
- 4 pcs of star anise
- 2 tsp of fresh ginger root
- 1 tsp of grated cardamom
In addition I will add 2 vanilla beans to the secondary that have been cutted over the length and put in wodka for one week (incl wodka)

Recipe:
2 lbs 5.0 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain
2 lbs 3.3 oz Lager Malt (2.0 SRM) Grain
1 lbs 5.2 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain
1 lbs 5.2 oz Caramunich Malt (81.2 SRM) Grain
1 lbs 5.2 oz Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain
8.8 oz Chocolate Malt (279.2 SRM) Grain
6.3 oz Orange marmelade (1.0 SRM

0.2 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.6%] - Boil 60 min
0.2 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.6%] - Boil 20 min
3.2 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.6%] - Boil 14 min

1 pkgs Czech Budejovice Lager (White Labs #WLP802)
Bitterness: 29.7 IBUs
Boil Time: 75 min
Est OG: 1.050 (12.2° P)
Mash Profile: Temperature Mash, 2 Step, Medium Body
Est FG: 1.008 SG (2.2° P)
Fermentation: Lager, Two Stage ABV: 5.4%

Try using a recipe for a nice malty brown ale and on bottling day spice the ale with a cinnamon tincture you can make by putting cinnamon in vodka.  You can play around with tasting your beer with 1, 2, 3 drops of tincture and find the perfect amount to use.  Also, it won't have to age as long to mellow out.  Try Simcoe hops for a nice piney element.

BeerNut

American IPA in the bottle.
Oktoberfest in the primary
Irish red in the works, or maybe Christmas Holiday

Back