• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

New to BeerSmith

Warderbrad

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am new to beer smith, been brewing for about a year now.  I only brew meads and ciders so I will have to figure out how to make this work for me.  Any advice you all may have I am open to.  I don't drink beer and so I don't brew it. 

I hope to contribute new recipes for meads and ciders that I make since I know it is a smaller side to the Homebrewing craft and often is sidelined due to most people brewing beers.

Hello friend & welcome to the forum. Really i don't know if we can brew ciders or not, this forum is about beer. Newbie like you i will learn forum rules to discover all about themes here & help you if possible :)

We can discuss meads here.  Many of us make meads, wines, pyments, etc.  If you want to discuss a mead recipe, you can probably post it in the recipes section.  If you have questions, you can probably post them in either "Brewing Discussion" or "Non-Brewing Discussion".

I suggested a mead category a while back.  The mead podcasts continue, but no support and not much response to mead questions.  I haven't been able to figure out how to make beersmith work for mead but that's my problem, so I made my own spreadsheet.    How about a category for 'other fermentables'.  Probably get more posts than swap meet feedback.

I don't know if this will be helpful, but a while back I wanted to make 2.5 Gal cider and use Beersmith so I could have some idea of what I was ending up with OG, FG, and ABV. 
I created an Equipment Profile called Cider 2.5 Gal Extract Brewhouse Efficiency 100%, Mash Tun Vol 2.5 Gal, Mash Tun Wt .50# (MR Beer Plastic LBK), Batch Volume 2.5 Gal, Fermenter loss .15 Gal and left everything else 0's.  Probably could have put Ferm loss @ .10 Gal but probably doesn't matter.

I then created my recipe as type Extract, boil time 0, Batch size 2.5 Gal, Equipment=Cider 2.5 Gal Extract from BS Profiles, Style= Common Cider from BS list, Fermentation= Ale Single Stage.
Added the ingredients I wanted and at least got Estimated OG, Color and Est. ABV.  Whatever else was available or needed filled in accordingly.

The only problem I have not figured out with the recipe is after fermentation completed I added potassium sorbate, then back-sweetened it with 1-2 Cup Apple Korn (25% Vol 50 Proof) and 1 Concentrated Apple Juice.  I don't know how that affected my final ABV but is more of an uncarbonated Apple Wine, which I prefer,  instead of dry hard cider.  It supplied corn sugar for carbonating but I ignored it as I wanted to glass bottle and didn't want any exploding bottles.

I'm attaching the recipe here so you can get a gist of what I am talking about.

Attachments

• Cider Recipe.bsmx
    13.3 KB · Views: 190
I was a tad overzealous last night in more ways than one.  Thanks for posting your recipe TexasDan. 

Warderbrad you see that the answers begin to multiply on your introduction which is very important to help you in your research and your expectations. benefits in then!!

Back