• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Crisp Clear Choice Ale Malt

Roadrocket

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
My local supplier stocks Crisp Clear Choice Ale Malt so I thought I'd give it a try.

Has anybody tried this malt? It's claimed to give:

Consistently haze-free beer without the use of chemical stabilisers
More malty, sweet notes
Reduced astringent, bitter notes
Improved head quality
Better flavour stability
Yeast and trub sediments to a firm cake
Cold conditioning at +3 or +4°C (37-39°F) leading to savings in refrigeration
Extended beer shelf-life

It sounds a bit too good to be true. I'm going to use it to brew an ordinary bitter tomorrow.

Well I brewed the ordinary bitter but I got the water quantities wrong with my new boiler. The OG was 3 points low. I was aiming for a light session bitter of 3.8% but I'll probably end up with something around 3.2%. Oh Well, I'll have to call it a Light Mild. It went into the FV clear and I'm using Safale 04 so it should drop clean.

I'll let you know how it ends up. I'll cold crash at 4C and see what happens.

It's finished fermenting. I tasted some out of the fermentor as I usually do. The taste is good although weak and watery. I've done all the calculations and I can't blame the low OG on the new boiler alone. Unfortunately I didn't take the pre boil gravity but I must have got a low mashing efficiency. I mashed exactly as I've always done.

Other people may acheive better results with this malt but this is my experience. I'll probably stick to Maris Otter, Golden Promise or Flagon in future. Most of my beers are clear enough anyway and I only did this out of interest. I'll do a further update once it's ready to drink.

Back