• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Harvesting Hops Yet?

zymurgist05

Master Brewer
Reaction score
Anyone harvesting hop yet?  I'll be harvesting 4 Cascade plants tomorrow.  Absolutely loaded with big, plump cones.  Last years harvest produced just under two pounds of hops.  I'm expecting to do a little better this year. 

I harvested mine last week. My vines, also cascade, didn't do too well this year with the dry winter here in CA. I usually just shut off the water after the first frost and when the rains start. This year I turned it off at the first rain and then it quit raining. I thought they would be fine since they were dormant, and I could just start the water again in the spring as I usually do. I was wrong. I lost 3 out of my 4 vines. The one that survived did ok, giving me about 10 ounces. I usually get almost a pound per vine. A real bummer, I'm gonna have to actually pay for hops this year. Already prepping the spots for new rhizomes this winter. 

Actually, I experienced the exact opposite regarding the weather.  Winter brought heavy snow and cold temps.  The spring was mild with a significant amount of rain.  The summer temps have been very mild, low temps and low humidity.  Very unusual for this part of the country.  The plants seemed like they couldn't wait to sprout this spring.  I cut them back twice early in the spring because they sprouted too soon and were exposed to frost.

Up here in Michigan I have some Northern Brewer hops ready to harvest.  Centennial and Cascade are getting close.  The nugget are still a ways off.  Wet, cool weather early has delayed things a bit, but the harvest looks to be a good one.

I started picking my nugget hops to day. they are 2nd year plants. I'm thinking I will get about 8 to 10 ozs dry from the best plant. here in southern Minnesota we have had a dry spell as of late but the temps have been mild compared to some years.

My first year nugget won't be ready for at least another six weeks. I've got a lot more flowers than I expected.

Harvested my Cascade hops on Saturday.  Dried them in the garage attic Saturday afternoon and all day Sunday.  Packaged in vacuum sealed bags Sunday evening; 2-4 oz. per bag.  Averaged 1.3 lb. (dry weight) per plant; 30% more than harvest from last year.  Very pleased for 3rd year plants.  I guessing the Winter / Spring moisture and cool Summer temps are the reason for my best harvest.  I'll be sharing half of the harvest with friends.

First planting this year (centennial) Sparse, but it is the first year. Still heavy cones and the vines are @ 10 feet...So I will make a brew to suit!
Going to let them continue for another month or so to max it out.

Back