• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Updated to latest, suprised <return> still doesn't work

adam01

Brewer
Reaction score
I was suprised that you still can't press return after setting a grain amount and have it accept the entry.
But return is accepted if you simply select the grain via search and don't change the amount.
BeerSmith 1.4 worked this way.

Any chance of hooking this up in future releases ?

Maybe I'm not seeing what you're talking about. Are you referring to a recipe change or something else?

<return> to capture and close an entry works for me these ways:

In Recipe:
1) Add grain, change the default amount
2) Substitute grain, change amount
3) Double click ingredient, change amount

In Inventory:
1) Add grain to inventory from the master list
2) Double Click the ingredient, change amount

The only time I'm seeing something like what you've observed is when I use Ingredients > Add Grain.

When I'm adding Grain.  I select the grain by typing most/the name.  I select it, then hit tab to enter the amount.
Then I press return and the window doesn't close.  If I tab over to the okay button and hit return it does close.

You don't see this operation ?

BS 1.4 used to accept return after typing in the amount.

When returning from the ingredient window to the main window, BS1.4 would keep the selection at the last item type, so you could
hit the space bar to add another ingredient of the same type. This was nice as you didn't have to keep picking up the mouse and could
mainly use the keyboard.

Or are there other keyboard shortcuts that do these things ?

adam01 said:
When I'm adding Grain.  I select the grain by typing most/the name.  I select it, then hit tab to enter the amount.
Then I press return and the window doesn't close.  If I tab over to the okay button and hit return it does close.

When I follow that operation, <return> captures the item and amount and closes the window. I'm on a Windows 7 machine. I'll try it on my work machine which is Windows 8, but the default highlight for closing out is the OK button in both of my systems.

When returning from the ingredient window to the main window, BS1.4 would keep the selection at the last item type,

Still does.

so you could hit the space bar to add another ingredient of the same type.

Ah! This is where the shortcuts break down. It sounds like a suggestion to restore it is in order.

I'm on Linux...  You are on Windows [7].

I presume that is the problem...

adam01 said:
I'm on Linux...  You are on Windows [7].

I presume that is the problem...

Seems like an easy problem for you to solve, then!  ;)
<kidding!>

It is the same way on a Mac.  The OK button is not linked to the enter key.  Even though the OK button is pulsing, you need to click on it (enter is not accepted).

Back