• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Liqueur at bottling in Christmas Ale-Carbonation

bdoss88

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I am doing the Christmas Ale recipe in Randy Mosher's Radical Brewing.  It calls for a 370 ml addition of a 900 ml mixture of Creme de Cacao, Orange Curacao, and Benedictine liqueurs, along with various spices, at bottling.  I can't find a good equation to determine carbonation effects or a way to determine the fermentables and sugars in each of these products.  Does anyone have any experience with this? I just want to try to avoid exploding bottles or undercarbonated beer after being patient for 5 months!

I might be wrong but I'd guess the sugars are all fermentable. Do the labels tell you the calories in the liquors? Could you use those figures to work out the amount of sugar. You might be able to get close enough.

I've bottled beer twice and forgot to add any sugar. Both times I've had good carbonation although I've had to wait a bit longer before it got there.

Those flavours look great. I'd probably end up drinking most of it before it got to the beer. I love benedictine.

Back