• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Yeast strains

BigBry68

Master Brewer
Reaction score
I was reading through posts last night and stumbled on one that referred to a yeast strain to help lower FG.  (now I cant find it)  I have a batch in primary that seems stuck around 1.034 and am concerned it will present too sweet.  Can you mix yeast strains without detriment?  Can all ye wise brew masters share from the abundance of your yeastly knowledge?

Thanks

What was your OG, what was your yeast, how long has it been in the fermenter, and what temp are you at?

Ipa extract
1.076 OG, just hit 2 weeks, have racked to secondary last night.  miss typed, current gravity .024 not .034.  (still seems high)

Mangrove Jack West Coast Yeast

average 76 degrees

you should be about 10 points lower and your temp is at the high end.  How often have you checked gravity.  Not familiar with MJ yeast, but if you tip your fermentor and swirl at the same time, some people have had success with that.    How are measuring gravity?

pulling beer with a sanitized baster into a measuring cylinder then dropping the hydrometer.  Yes summer is in full swing so temp has become more of an issue.  May have to stop brewing till the fall.

If you want a gravity drop you should get a small starter going and pitch it at the height of activity.  I would use the same yeast.  if you just straight pitch a pack or tube  not much will happen.  Taste it before you go to the trouble.  You might like it

you say your using extract, if so 1.024 from 1.076 is about where you should be. 007 yeast may have took it down a little more but the extract dose not work down too far. its just how its made. as far as mj go's, I have not used that yeast yet but have herd good things about 007 and dry beer and that's why I mention it.

I've used that yeast and found it very good but it seems to like a good bit of oxygen to keep going.

Mine stuck after a couple of days. I gave it a fast stir for about 5 minutes. I then removed the airlock, covered the hole and gave the FV a rigorous shake for 10 minutes to get some oxygen into the wort.

It started again within an hour and was bubbling furiously the next day. It took another 2 days to drop to the predicted FG and the beer turned out good. Mine wasn't such a high gravity so yours might take a little longer.

If you add more yeast when the problem is too little oxygen then it won't work. Only add more yeast as a last resort.

Yes summer is in full swing so temp has become more of an issue.  May have to stop brewing till the fall.

Might not be a bad idea. I used to brew year round, but now I stop in the summer.  I do a string of ales in the fall and spring, and a string of lagers in the winter when my basement is nice and chilly.

Whatever you do.... do not stop brewing in the summer. No need to stop. 1.024 may be a bad reading or it may just need more time. Finish the beer and taste it. If it is good...then good. If it is bad.... then bad.

Back