Author Topic: Yeast strains  (Read 3822 times)

Offline BigBry68

• "Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer". Henry Lawson
  • BeerSmith Master Brewer
  • “Beer is made by men, wine by God.” Martin Luther
    • In Heaven there is no beer
Yeast strains
« on: June 14, 2014, 07:13:53 AM »
I was reading through posts last night and stumbled on one that referred to a yeast strain to help lower FG.  (now I cant find it)  I have a batch in primary that seems stuck around 1.034 and am concerned it will present too sweet.  Can you mix yeast strains without detriment?  Can all ye wise brew masters share from the abundance of your yeastly knowledge?

Thanks
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons, but in the very least you need a beer.
― Frank Zappa

KernelCrush

Re: Yeast strains
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 07:48:01 AM »
What was your OG, what was your yeast, how long has it been in the fermenter, and what temp are you at?

Offline BigBry68

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 10:40:44 AM »
Ipa extract
1.076 OG, just hit 2 weeks, have racked to secondary last night.  miss typed, current gravity .024 not .034.  (still seems high)

Mangrove Jack West Coast Yeast

average 76 degrees
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons, but in the very least you need a beer.
― Frank Zappa

KernelCrush

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 11:10:35 AM »
you should be about 10 points lower and your temp is at the high end.  How often have you checked gravity.  Not familiar with MJ yeast, but if you tip your fermentor and swirl at the same time, some people have had success with that.    How are measuring gravity?

Offline BigBry68

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 11:24:53 AM »
pulling beer with a sanitized baster into a measuring cylinder then dropping the hydrometer.  Yes summer is in full swing so temp has become more of an issue.  May have to stop brewing till the fall.
― Frank Zappa

KernelCrush

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 11:38:28 AM »
If you want a gravity drop you should get a small starter going and pitch it at the height of activity.  I would use the same yeast.   if you just straight pitch a pack or tube  not much will happen.  Taste it before you go to the trouble.  You might like it

Offline all grain

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • variables,variables, so many variables
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2014, 01:10:07 PM »
you say your using extract, if so 1.024 from 1.076 is about where you should be. 007 yeast may have took it down a little more but the extract dose not work down too far. its just how its made. as far as mj go's, I have not used that yeast yet but have herd good things about 007 and dry beer and that's why I mention it.
brewing is an art form not just a science ,dude where's my beer!

Offline Roadrocket

• I've tried jogging but I kept spilling my beer
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2014, 01:11:46 PM »
I've used that yeast and found it very good but it seems to like a good bit of oxygen to keep going.

Mine stuck after a couple of days. I gave it a fast stir for about 5 minutes. I then removed the airlock, covered the hole and gave the FV a rigorous shake for 10 minutes to get some oxygen into the wort.

It started again within an hour and was bubbling furiously the next day. It took another 2 days to drop to the predicted FG and the beer turned out good. Mine wasn't such a high gravity so yours might take a little longer.

If you add more yeast when the problem is too little oxygen then it won't work. Only add more yeast as a last resort.
When the sun beats down and I lie on the bench, I can always hear them talk.
Me, I'm just a lawnmower - you can tell me by the way I walk.

Offline Maine Homebrewer

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2014, 02:21:23 PM »
Yes summer is in full swing so temp has become more of an issue.  May have to stop brewing till the fall.

Might not be a bad idea. I used to brew year round, but now I stop in the summer.  I do a string of ales in the fall and spring, and a string of lagers in the winter when my basement is nice and chilly.
"To alcohol! The cause of - and solution to - all of life's problems!" -Homer Simpson

Offline Freak

• Freak Brothers Homebrew
  • Brutally Freaking Honest
    • Freak Brothers Homebrew
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2014, 07:26:07 PM »
Whatever you do.... do not stop brewing in the summer. No need to stop. 1.024 may be a bad reading or it may just need more time. Finish the beer and taste it. If it is good...then good. If it is bad.... then bad.
Brewing massive amounts of freakin' good beer since 1991. We had to learn the hard way. No homebrew stores or beer nerds (like me) to talk to back then. Just pure passion and determination. Relax, Don't Worry, Have A Homebrew! -23 Karma! Yee Ha!! It went up! Smite me if you must but, trust me.