• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Batch Sparge

flgator1965

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I am new to all grain and would like to batch sparge. I understand the procedure but when using Beersmith it says to batch sparge in 2 steps the first with 1.83 gallons and then 4 or 5 gallons (can't remember exactly). Why do this instead of pouring full amount in at once? Wouldn't you have to resettle the grain bed between the two?

Take a look at the various mash options.
I think you are looking for single infusion.

Beersmith is trying to have you sparge twice in equal amounts.  First addition along with mash water should be close to 2nd sparge amount. 

Mark

If what you want is to get to a single sparge, click the mash tab, then click the red check next to the mash profile name.  scroll down to batch sparge options and check all the boxes.  you can adjust the percent full number till it works for you. 

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    59.9 KB · Views: 11
I've just begun All Grain and have been fly sparging so far but am somewhat interested in moving over to batch sparging sometimes/every time (mostly because it seems like it is a bit easier).  What does the checkbox "Batch sparge using batches that fill 90%" mean?

What does the checkbox "Batch sparge using batches that fill 90%" mean?

You are telling BeerSmith the percent full you want it to let you fill your mashtun.

Check this link:        http://dennybrew.com/

I use BeerSmith, but ignore the mash and sparge volumes. I follow Denny's procedure for splitting mash and sparge water.

thanks durrettd... a quick pass through this resource raises a question for me (actually two):

1)  Denny states that when batch sparging we can open our valve for a quicker sparge.  i've been fly sparging at a rate of roughly 1 gallon per 10 minutes, which is basically a trickle of flow.  do you take advantage of this benefit of batch sparging or do you still take it slow?  this would be a huge time saver if done quickly.

2) Denny states that when batch sparging we should mix our grains with our sparge water.  when fly sparging i've been leaving the grains alone so that the "filtration" done by the grains is not disturbed.  is this mixing a crucial step for batch sparging?  do you mix or leave it settled?

I use a HERMS system to continuously recirculate through the mash, through a coil immersed in a thermostatically-controlled water bath and back into the mash tun. So, the mash tun valve is already wide open. I just turn off the pump to move the hose running back to the mash tun into a kettle and turn it back on. If I were not recirculating, I guess I would open it slowly to ensure the grain bed was set and maybe recirculate a gallon or so to ensure the wort runs clear.

I dump my sparge water into the mash tun and stir. The idea is to get good contact between the sparge water and the grain so the sugars can be rinsed/dissolved into the water. You re-establish the grain bed filter by recirculating the wort until it runs clear. I believe Denny uses a pitcher. He reports he only has to recirculate a couple of pitchers to get clear wort. I use my pump. I don't know what Denny paid for his pitcher. My pump cost about $140. It's entirely possible Denny saved a little money by using a pitcher.

Batch sparging is very simple and I typically get 75 - 80% brewhouse efficiency from it - depending on my mash schedule. I don't care much about efficiency, but there are so many threads on the subject I'll throw it out there for your consideration.

Denny Conn has brewed more beer than anyone I know of. He knows what he's talking about. Try batch sparging a couple of times on a simple recipe and see how you like it. I suspect you'll find it's worth any decrease in efficiency - and I doubt you'll see a decrease.

I didn't see a decrease in efficiency when I started batch sparging, in fact I gained a little. It certainly save a lot of time and I find it's more consistant.

I also use Denny Conn's process and find it simple and very effective. Why make it difficult for yourself. Denny is a top bloke and one who knows what he's talking about.

Thanks gents.  The biggest potential perk I'm looking for is time savings, and it looks like this may take a good 30-45 minutes out of the brew day.

Beersmith is trying to have you sparge twice in equal amounts.  First addition along with mash water should be close to 2nd sparge amount. 

Thanks for this Mark.  I saw the light. 

All of this is so particular to the equipment you are using but, what I want to know is, why would anyone want to batch sparge when you can fly sparge?

Freak said:
All of this is so particular to the equipment you are using but, what I want to know is, why would anyone want to batch sparge when you can fly sparge?

As discussed above, it looks like there are time savings to be realized.  It also looks like it's easier because during the sparge you don't have to monitor the water level in the mash tun and the temperature of your sparge water.  I'm new to the AG and kicked things off fly sparging, so I'm going to stick with that for at least a few more batches to find my groove.

Back