• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Steeping Grains in Extract Recipe

Stuntman

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'd like to be able to add ingredients and then identify them as steeping grains.. input length of time and temperature.. not sure if there is anything that needs to be calculated out of this information, but it would help the recipe look and read better.

I'm not aware of any calculations that need these times/temps.  I did add a steeping temperature option on the next update, but it is used primarily to display steeping temperature on the brewsheet.

Cheers!
Brad

BeerSmith said:
I'm not aware of any calculations that need these times/temps.   I did add a steeping temperature option on the next update, but it is used primarily to display steeping temperature on the brewsheet.

Cheers!
Brad

Thanks for the replies... I had only wondered if steeping a color enhancing grain for a longer/shorter period of time might affect the SRM of that batch.. likewise if the temperature was higher or lower would that affect the color.. and/or flavor..

I would have guessed that the length of time the grains steep and the temp at which they steep would alter the color and taste.. but perhaps not.. and even if they did, it may not be something that could be calculated.

Thanks again for the great product and I know I'm not alone in looking forward to the next release or 'beta'!

Back