• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

sour mash?

all grain

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Ok here is what I did and not sure if it's safe. or even what to call it.  ( this was an experiment).
I brewed an apa all grain batch then after my batch Sprague the second running's were still at 1.030 but I had what I needed for my apa so I filled the tun with water, enough to just cover the mash and added a hand full of 2 row grain then shut the mash tun. temp at 130. the next day added hot water to keep the temp at or about 120. on day 2 after 48 hrs drained mash. ended up with 2 gal of sour mash. then boiled it and filled a one gal glass fermenter ,cooled and pitched 05 yeast from an active fermentation  . let it ferment for 90 days. So what did I do and what do I have?? fg is at 1.008 no sings of bad funk but smells of apples tasted like apple cider a little bit. no bad smell or vinous twinge. its vary clear also.
so what is it , thoughts. 

Back