• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Steep/Whirpool giving 0 IBUs

xlev

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hy everyone

This is the first time I am trying the Beersmiths feature Steep/Whirpool for the hop addition. When I add hops with this step for 30min, I get 0 IBUs. If I try changing it to a boil it works fine, but when I change it back to Whirpool, it doesnt give me any bitterness.

I just upgraded to the newer 2.2 version. Is anyone having same problems?

Cheers

Alex

The hops have to be of sufficient quantity and AA% to generate a number. Plus, the time they are in will default to 40% utilization of what you'd get in the boil.

Assuming that the hops actually are set to steep/whirlpool and a time is assigned, you may need to adjust your WP utilization factor.

Options > Bitterness > Steep/Whirlpool Util Factor.

Be careful with this adjustment. There is scant little more than observational data on how much IBU contribution is actually going on. It's very easy to give yourself a false impression about how much bitterness you beer will have, by adjusting this tool.

Back