• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

1 grain 1 hop

tymmy

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hello first of all...been reading for a while but finally made an account to actually post.

A few weeks back I tried WTFUggle from Anacapa Brewery in Ventura CA. As the name suggests they only used fuggle hops and it got me thinking...could I take it one step further and just use 1 type of grain and 1 type of hops.

Thoughts?

Yes, SMaSH, short for Single Malt and Single Hop, is a common practice for folks looking to get a feel for what those two ingredients bring to a brew.

I just did a SMaSH last Sunday.  11.5 pounds of Maris Otter and Hallertauer Hops.  I used Belgian Saison yeast.  I'll rack it onto blueberries in about 3 weeks.

I love making smash beers, lots of fun. One of my favourites is Maris Otter and Galaxy, makes for a great combination.

Scott Ickes said:
I just did a SMaSH last Sunday.  11.5 pounds of Maris Otter and Hallertauer Hops.  I used Belgian Saison yeast.  I'll rack it onto blueberries in about 3 weeks.
Mmmmmmm... can I have some?

Beer_Tigger said:
Scott Ickes said:
Mmmmmmm... can I have some?

I live near Portland, Oregon.  If you're up this way, you can be my taste tester.  I love feedback.  In addition, I give most of my beer away, either to fellow homebrewers or friends (alas, no family lives near me).  Or, I just have a BBQ a few times a year and supply all the beer.

I only average a beer a day myself.  I make about 10 gallons a month.  So basically I make about 108 bottles of beer a month, drink about 30 of them and give the other 70+ bottles away in one form or another.

I did a (near) Mosaic SMASH that turned out outstanding. Great summer beer ..... had to share.
Feedback welcome!

Attachments

• Mosaic Smash.bsmx
    20.3 KB · Views: 324
peas_and_corn said:
I love making smash beers, lots of fun. One of my favourites is Maris Otter and Galaxy, makes for a great combination.

That's the very one I've been meaning to do. I visited my local hop supplier when he was breaking down a bale of Galaxy, a variety he'd never stocked before. The room was full of the most wonderful, complex aroma that cried out for a SMaSH with MO.

My other 'SMaSH I want to do do one day' is Mild Ale Malt and WGV.

Back