• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Water additions re-work, unit consistency, HERMS support

SilverLeaf_Brewery

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hey all-

After using the product for a while, we've had a lot of success, but we've got three main issues...
1. Water additions: We would like to see a water additions rework. We often have two volumes to work with; our HLT which we add all salt additions other than Baking Soda and Chalk; and our mash tun, to which we add the soda and chalk. What we would like to be able to do is have two (or more) fields in which we enter the volume of water to which the salts will be applied, and then be able to link the particular salts to that volume. The amount that is needed to be added will then carry over into the recipe. For example, you could have it read, "Calcium Chloride (HLT 20GAL) x.xx grams. NaHCO3 (Mash, 4.6GAL) x.xx grams" What would also be cool is if you could link the volume of the water needed for the mash to the salt additions and have it auto-adjust.

2. Unit Consistency. Please go through and make sure that we have the option of specifying quarts or gallons and that those measurements carry all the way through. Also- for the refrac adjustment tool, being able to enter the measurement in either brix or OG would be nice, instead of just brix.

3. HERMS and other temp-controlled scenarios need to be added. I can't find a good way to adequately map the HERMS system and the way it heats to any method I see in your mash tab.

Thanks guys! Great product!

SilverLeaf_Brewery said:
2. Unit Consistency. Please go through and make sure that we have the option of specifying quarts or gallons and that those measurements carry all the way through.

Options > Units  to set the basics of what you seem to be asking for.

You have this resolution in a variety of places within the brewing process. Additionally, you can enter recipe amounts in any vol/vol or wght/wght method (lbs, qts, oz, Liter, Gm) and BeerSmith will convert it to your customized measure.

3. HERMS and other temp-controlled scenarios need to be added. I can't find a good way to adequately map the HERMS system and the way it heats to any method I see in your mash tab.

Within the mash tab or profile, you can use a "Temperature" step to show an externally heat sourced rise (vs. a water infusion). You can independently name each step. The Rise time field should represent the expected slope of your system, while the Step time filed should represent how long you wish to rest once the temperature is achieved.

In my case, Temperature steps represent how long steam is applied to the vessel jacket, but it's no different than if HERMS, RIMS or direct flame were the method.

Just as a fyi.  If you change the units it totally screws up all your water volumes and batch sizes of my existing recipes.

When changing units, bitterness and other global advanced options, it is best to have all recipes and profiles closed.

When I delve into issues posted by others on this forum, I often have to change the units. I have no issues when I make sure the recipes are closed before making unit changes.

Back