Author Topic: testing yeast after harvesting  (Read 12569 times)

Offline Damrite

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Re: testing yeast after harvesting
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2014, 04:54:35 PM »
I took I guess from the yeast calculator website you give me.
sg 1054.. fg 1012.
Density of yeast I would say average.
Yeast was harvest 4 days ago.
I pitch about 2 vial. I'm keeping an eye on it  :(

KernelCrush

« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2014, 05:32:49 PM »
did you look at the pics at the bottom of the page http://www.yeastcalc.co/washed-yeast-calculator  .  What did you pick from the drop down box for density?

Offline Damrite

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2014, 06:08:38 PM »
Yes I did kernel crush, It said 3.51 oz. 1 vial is about 2 ounces and I pitch 2 vials. I should be ok, what's your opinion... what happen if you pitch more yeast, would that affect the taste?
Thanks man ;)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 06:43:51 PM by Damrite »

KernelCrush

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2014, 03:06:37 AM »
I gave you the link to that site cause I knew it had pictures to determine slurry density and thats important.  I see that the site has changed the way it calculates and wont be referring it again.  Mr Malty says you needed 125 ml of slurry.   My notes say the white labs vials will hold 50 ml max, so it appears you may have underpitched somewhat.  You may have underestimated your slurry density if you harvested 4 days prior and didnt somehow restir your slurry before pitching.  Did you put it all into suspension in order to pour it into the vials?  When you poured the yeast into your fermentor was it smooth pouring or was it lumpy? 

Offline Damrite

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2014, 02:35:32 PM »
I would say it was in between seems to me that the denslty was close to the white labs vial, I let it sit in the fridge and pour the beer/water from top every day, I pitch another vial from my harvest last night just to be on the safe side
By the way I love that website that you send me. Thanks

KernelCrush

« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2014, 04:54:44 PM »
Got bubbles?

KernelCrush

« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2014, 06:29:35 PM »
To correct my post above, a white labs vial is 47 ml full when rechecked by weight.    The yeast book has a great sidebar note about how to estimate slurry concentration using a white labs tube.

modification