• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

When to rack from 1st to 2nd?

I almost always give my ales a month in the primary, and a month in a secondary for nothing more than clarity.
Time & gravity are great for a crystal clear brew

OK.... Here I go again... Get ready for the "Spite-O-Thon"!

I typically go from primary to keg in one week. If I get lazy and don't get it kegged on the first weekend after brew day I do it the next weekend. It just doesn't matter, that much, where it does what, and when. I am sure that there is some kind of brewing law that prohibits this and could get ya 15-20 behind bars but, that yeast is gonna do it's job no matter where it is as long as the temps. are in range. So what if something settles out. What happens in bottle conditioning. Stuff is gonna settle. In a keg you pull off any sediment on the first pull. Long as you don't move the keg it's fine. If you must move a keg (and I frequently do) just transfer to another one. OK. Smite away!!!

Freak glad to see you posting again.  I think most of the smites you received came from post on sanitation, and a little name calling. I did not realize brewers were still open fermenting beer until you and brewfun pointed it out. But I feel it's for very experience brewers. I personally did not smite you and think you will loose a few smites.

Freak said:
OK.... Here I go again... Get ready for the "Spite-O-Thon"!

I typically go from primary to keg in one week. If I get lazy and don't get it kegged on the first weekend after brew day I do it the next weekend. It just doesn't matter, that much, where it does what, and when. I am sure that there is some kind of brewing law that prohibits this and could get ya 15-20 behind bars but, that yeast is gonna do it's job no matter where it is as long as the temps. are in range. So what if something settles out. What happens in bottle conditioning. Stuff is gonna settle. In a keg you pull off any sediment on the first pull. Long as you don't move the keg it's fine. If you must move a keg (and I frequently do) just transfer to another one. OK. Smite away!!!

This isn't bad advice Freak.  It's a matter of personal preference.  The only thing is termperature.  A lot of time, once it's in the keg, it goes to lower temperature storage.  This doesn't give the yeast a chance for a diacytel rest at 70+F.  You'll have a different taste profile compared to with or without this rest at a higher temperature.  You could also temperature control your keg and get a diacytel rest too. 

So, it's personal preference.

I agree with JTOOTS.  I find a definite advantage of racking beer to a secondary at about S.G.1020, Around 12 days, and bubbler activity slowed to about 45 seconds . If you angle your hose right in the bottom of the carboy,  there is a swirl motion created.  This is a type of whirpooling, same as the last few minutes of the boil with Irish Moss.  This whirpool action and clean glass bottom settles the beer out in a matter of days. It begins immediately, with sediment accumulating within an hour. I really think beer clears much faster by doing this. I have left beer in the primary many moons ago and found it takes about a week longer (sometimes two) to settle, clear and finish fermenting. The beer is still able to  finish off fermenting and leaves a nice little yeast film on the bottom of the secondary. I am able to brew again because the primary is freed up, and when the SG drops to 4 points above terminal, I bottle 6- 500 ml bottles and fill a 19 liter ball lock s.s. Corny keg. It can carbonate under keg pressure 28 psi and finish fermenting at the same time, about 5 five days; and the captured bottle ferment will carbonate the bottles.( in about 14 days at room temperature)  I am now drinking a reasonably clear pilsner that was brewed 18 days ago, March 28. In a week it will be completely clear and be officially "Ready"
Also like to dry hop in carboy secondary, and let it clear/settle out.  takes about a week longer.
I am a newbie on this board but have my original C.A.B.A. (Canadian Amateur Brewing Association) membership from 1986 and have brewed hundreds of 6 gallon batches, one 24 us gal batch,and two 12 gallon batches.

Back