• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Bottle Sanitizing

David Green. I give you kudos on the high heat stuff but, the oven may be over the top. If you don't have a dishwasher (no soap needed BTW) go ahead and use Star San. Bleach is a definite No No. Yikes! Stick with the rinse when done stuff but stay far away from bleach. If you have crusties in the bottom just fill with water and wait. It will come loose.

Baking is something I would not recommend.  The heating process stresses the glass, causing micro fractures.  Which in turn may cause a bottle bombs.  Unfortunately so many of the bottles that we collect as homeowners are of the single use variety.  I disagree with the thoughts on bleach but that is another thread.

I bake bottles to sanitize fairly regularly and I have lost a couple in the oven due to imperfections in the glass (bubbles) but if you put the bottles into a cold oven and heat slowly then let cool slowly (overnight) It shouldn't stress the glass any more than it was stressed when the bottle was manufactured.

I found rinsing with a bottle rinser (the nozzle) to be a key step.  Even after soaking, if I must have had some old yeast at the bottom of the bottles that never made their way out and I had a couple tough batches.  In other words, rinsing with the assistance of gravity was what it took to get anything funky out of the bottles.  Then I found a hose connection for my rinser and was back in the groove again.

Back