Author Topic: Bottle Sanitizing  (Read 17315 times)

Offline davidrgreen

• BeerSmith Master Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Re: Bottle Sanitizing
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2014, 03:40:33 PM »
I have always washed my bottles well after pouring my beer into a glass but have noticed that my wife isn't as stringent as me and as a result I have seen bottles with dry sediment in the bottom which I cant remove so I have to get rid of them. This made me worry about contaminating my beer so I have a strict policy that my bottles are left on the side once she has rinsed and I now wash them properly with dish soap and rinse thoroughly. I may be a little over the top but before the last two batches I just bottled I rinsed, baked in the oven at 340F for 2 hrs and allowed to cool over night in the oven without opening the door. On bottling day I then washed in star san just before filling. All my bottling gear was scrubbed then soaked in a bleach solution over night and then rinsed before dunking in star san.
It may seem over the top but after 10 hrs of brewing (2 batches) the last thing i want to do is try and save a few minutes and waste any of it.

Offline Freak

• Freak Brothers Homebrew
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • Brutally Freaking Honest
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2014, 09:40:49 PM »
It is obvious that Scott has a personal problem with me and, I have no idea why but, as I clearly said "I do not bottle anything other than competition beers" and I have won many of them. So, as a result my beer does not need to sit in a bottle for months at a time. Due to Scott's attitude toward me he is robbing you of an opportunity to learn a lesson from a 23 year home brewing  veteran that has made every mistake that could ever be made. I keg everything (other than comp. beers). With that said, if you strictly bottle you may want to take more care. Not a problem. I rinse real good and, I forgot to mention that I am a hardcore lover of PBW. Use it. It will clean the barnacles off of a battleship. Then just throw the bottles in the dishwasher and you will NOT have any issues. My 23 years of doing this is proof that it works. If your gonna leave it in the bottle for 6 months you may want to consider sanitizer but, before I ever kegged a single beer, this was my method and I have never had a bad batch or bad bottle of beer. Maybe I just got luck for 23 years doing 1 or 2 batches of beer per month (or more). Argue all you want Scott. I'm not trying to disagree. Just trying to give good advice. I am doing nothing more than sharing my personal experiences and they have worked well for 23 years. If you want to go with Scott's method that is fine. It will work well too. You will not find me bad mouthing another brewers methods. All you will get from me is a simpler suggestion. I don't bad mouth brewers. I support all that they do.
Brewing massive amounts of freakin' good beer since 1991. We had to learn the hard way. No homebrew stores or beer nerds (like me) to talk to back then. Just pure passion and determination. Relax, Don't Worry, Have A Homebrew! -23 Karma! Yee Ha!! It went up! Smite me if you must but, trust me.

Offline Freak

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2014, 09:46:07 PM »
Another piece of advice KWT62. I have a buddy that uses old T-Shirts over the carboy instead of the towel thing I told you about. Just wet it with a spray bottle of water. Keep an open mind and avoid the noise. You will do just fine.
Brewing massive amounts of freakin' good beer since 1991. We had to learn the hard way. No homebrew stores or beer nerds (like me) to talk to back then. Just pure passion and determination. Relax, Don't Worry, Have A Homebrew! -23 Karma! Yee Ha!! It went up! Smite me if you must but, trust me.

Offline Freak

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2014, 10:09:18 PM »
durrettd gets it!!!!! Congrats brother! I'm not here to tick everyone off (and I obviously have). I am also not here to steer a new brewer in the wrong direction. It doesn't take a rocket brewer to know you need to sanitize everything. Every damn beer book you pick up and, every damn brewer you talk to will tell you sanitation is the most important thing. What they don't tell you is that there is more than one freaking way to sanitize your equipment. This is what too many brewers don't get and, it just so happens that my method is way older than the Star San method. It is time tested so, get over your Star San. It ain't the only way. I also understand you can't pour boiling water into a carboy or it will explode. I've done that! It was bad, I was new at this, I learned a lesson. What I do know is that my dish washer gets way hot enough to kill anything that could contaminate beer. Does your dishwasher get that hot? I have no idea. What I do know is this young brewer has only one way to find out if his (dishwasher) does and that is to give it a freaking shot. Yet, you all try to take this option away from him. If it don't work (and I am sure it will work) then he can go with the extra step, and expense, of using sanitizer. That is fine too. I also understand completely that I have a different system than what he has so, he can't just heat up some water and pump it through the wort chiller and into the fermenter to sanitize it but, it gets him thinking. How can I use boiling water to sanitize? Thinking about how beer has been made forever. Let the man learn. Don't rob him of that option.

Offline Freak

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2014, 10:15:01 PM »
Since I am so well liked here I might as well give you a little taste of the attitude in my brewery. How about some Sex Pistols in the Freak Brother's Brewery? Enjoy. Or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MKJqwibIy4

Offline Freak

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2014, 10:32:36 PM »
David Green. I give you kudos on the high heat stuff but, the oven may be over the top. If you don't have a dishwasher (no soap needed BTW) go ahead and use Star San. Bleach is a definite No No. Yikes! Stick with the rinse when done stuff but stay far away from bleach. If you have crusties in the bottom just fill with water and wait. It will come loose.

Offline haerbob3

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2014, 01:42:23 PM »
Baking is something I would not recommend.  The heating process stresses the glass, causing micro fractures.  Which in turn may cause a bottle bombs.  Unfortunately so many of the bottles that we collect as homeowners are of the single use variety.  I disagree with the thoughts on bleach but that is another thread.

Offline morticaixavier

• Jonathan Fuller
  • BeerSmith Master Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2014, 02:28:00 PM »
I bake bottles to sanitize fairly regularly and I have lost a couple in the oven due to imperfections in the glass (bubbles) but if you put the bottles into a cold oven and heat slowly then let cool slowly (overnight) It shouldn't stress the glass any more than it was stressed when the bottle was manufactured.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"

- A. Einstein

Offline jtoots

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2014, 09:50:28 AM »
I found rinsing with a bottle rinser (the nozzle) to be a key step.  Even after soaking, if I must have had some old yeast at the bottom of the bottles that never made their way out and I had a couple tough batches.  In other words, rinsing with the assistance of gravity was what it took to get anything funky out of the bottles.  Then I found a hose connection for my rinser and was back in the groove again.

modification