• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

no yeast activity after 4 days

Damrite

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I, m brewing a toy soldier stout, I pitch the yeast at recommended temperature 75 degree F, after 4 days I haven, t seen one bubble coming out of the airlock, yeast was sandiago super yeast from wyeast. Now what are your recommendation should I throw another bottle of yeast, thanks

From what I read you will get zip from just pitching more yeast.  I would check gravity and if it hasn't moved do a nother starter with the same yeast and pitch it as soon the new starter gets active.

If you have CO2, I would make a new starter by syphoning off 1000 ml of the wort into a sterile 2000 ml flask (Gently boil H2O in it, empty, and cover with foil until filling) Your wort is at pitching temp, so add new yeast making a new starter and add when real active.
Cover your wort with CO2 to protect it after grabbing the 1000 ml. Make sure your weast is within a couple of degrees of the wort before you pitch. Use a stir plate or swirl flask to add O2 starter.

Four days is not an unusual fermentation time for a happy ale, especially at that temperature. I've had ales do their entire thing in two days of vigorous fermentation. My recommendation would be to leave it alone.

Unfortunately I don't hane co2, and for the second option from mainebrewer said to leave it alone if the beer doesn't ferment how long do I have to correct my problem before the beer goes bad and what do I do from thiss point, thank for all your feedback

Bubbles in the airlock are not a good indication of fermentation. Bucket lids often let CO2 escape even if you think you've pushed the lid as far down as it will go, all the way around. Try pulling the airlock and looking inside the bucket. There's an excellent chance you'll see a ring of crud (actually trub) around the inside of the bucket; if you see that, it's begun fermenting.

If you can, I recommend fermenting cooler. Even if the yeast lists a range of 65 - 75 F, it'll make better beer at the bottom of the range than at the upper end.

Read John palmer's "How to Brew". It's available free on-line at    howtobrew.com          The on-line version is a bit out-of-date, but it's a great beginning.

Um.... How about take a gravity reading? See where the beer is at.

Sorry I just 
noticed I double post,
to answer to Durettd my fermenter is actually very airtight also has a rubber seal around the cover, and the cover is cave in so I assume no fermentation has started.
thanks to all for the feedback  ;)

Yep. If you are brewing in a bucket just pop the lid off and see if it is going. There may be a leak around the lid or air lock. I always used carboys before I went stainless because I could see it working. The truth of the mater is.... you don't even have to put an air lock on it. Just set the lid on and let it go.

San Diego Super Chico yeast WLP090 is from White Labs not Wyeast. It is a FAST acting yeast which you somehow managed to kill. The fermentation temp range is 65-68 degrees not 75. We don't know how you handle your yeast, but somewhere along the way you may have inadvertently killed it. You need to lower the temp of your fermenter because it will spoil faster at higher temps & it is not in the proper range for the yeast to work properly.

If you don't have the equipment to make a starter, your best bet would be to get a Wyeast smack pack of 1056 activate it, watch it swell at pitching temp and add it to the wort after you check the gravity. At your current temp I would be squeamish too about pulling the cover of to check the gravity.

You are running out of time!

Your gonna have to pull the cover off to pitch the yeast anyway. Just go buy a pack of 1056 or Safale 05, pop the lid off, and if it ain't going just dump it in. It won't hurt a thing. Stick the lid back on and see what happens. You will know in a day or 2. My opinion is if it didn't take off already, it may be spoiled anyway. You have nothing to lose other than a $2.75 pack of yeast. Give it a shot.

On san Diego wyeast bottle it says between 70 to 75 f I just double check,
I follow you guys recommendation pull up the lid and realized that their a little bit of krausen around the carboy maybe 1 in ring, and it smell good, hopefully I, m ok.
glad I got you guys to help, try to read as much as I can but work schedule is crazy.

If you have a ring around the top an inch above the beer it fermented and has now dropped down. Sounds to me like you just had a leak somewhere and it fermented just fine. It should be about done by now. I would suggest you invest in a refractometer. That way you can pull the lid off whenever you want and grab a few drops to check how it is coming along. There is absolutely no problem what so ever with removing the lid whenever you want. CO2 is heavier than oxygen so it will just push the oxygen out. Nothing will ever happen to your beer when you remove the lid. Sure, if you shake it around you will get oxygen in the beer but taking periodic peeks will never, ever screw your beer up.

Refractometer is on my , list I just have to slowly equipped myself, to keep my wife off my back lol.

Hey Damrite! Just wondering how that beer turned out. Let us know. Did you peek inside and totally screw it up. Just kidding. Love to hear how it turned out.

Did turn out good, I did carefully peak inside, never seen any
But it did ferment, now I'm doing a yeast starter and it rocks

Back