• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Oxiclean and Sterilizers (and such...)

BeerSmith

Staff member
Administrator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
CJ started this in another line...

Can you use oxiclean for a sterilizer or just a cleaner?  I saw the stuff at the store but it appears to be a laundry detergent.  How much do you use?

I primarily use bleach an iodophor for sterilizing - bleach on glass because its cheap and iodophor for the kegs, chiller and other copper/stainless items...

Other suggestions are welcome as well!

Brad

I use dishwashing detergent to clean glass after I take the beer out of the primary or secondary.  Really gets to hops off the sides.  The rest is the same...bleach to sanitize and Idophor for kegs.  The only thing I've ever done to sanitize bottles is to run them thru the dishwasher, no soap, extra hot water and dry cycle.  Never had any batch go bad from not being sterile (a few due to coming up with a sucky recipe tho!).

I did learn a neat trick on the bottles -

Just get a big 5 gallon bucket and fill it with bleach water and let the bottles sit in it until you need them.  When its bottling day, rinse them out with a bottlewasher and some warm water and then use them.

Its very sterile, requires virtually no prep time and the soaking will losen up just about any bit of disgusting stuff that may be in the bottom.

Cheers!
Brad

Oxiclean and PBW are both cleaners, not sanitizers. I use about half a spoon of Oxiclean to clean out large Erlenmeyer flasks (2 or 4 liters), and that works well. But, don't let it soak for a very long time, or you might get a white residue on your equipment that is extremely difficult to get off (from what I've heard).

One thing I've heard about Oxiclean, though, is that some containers are perfumed -- you definitely want to avoid that. The stuff I get at Costco here is unscented and works well.

I use Oxyclean on just about everything.  However, it is only used as a cleaner.  Immediately after using my equipment, it gets a 1 - 2 hour soaking in hot Oxy solution.  Also, bottles get a soaking in Oxy before they are sanitized with Idophor, but I don't bottle much anymore.  It is a very effective and cost effective cleaner.

One additional benefit of Oxyclean is that it works great for removing labels.  

Question -

CJ says don't let it soak too long, but Streb says 1-2 hours soaking?  Is 1-2 hours too long or not?

Brad

No, too long would be a day or two -- at least that's what I read in other forums. I just got done soaking my large Erlenmeyer flask for 2 days (totally forgot it was soaking), and it rinsed off fine.

I have never used oxyclean to clean my beer equipment. But I do use OneStep sanitizer, which is oxygen based. How close the to are in composition I don't know. But I generally stick to just brewing solutions for cleaning- such as PBW. As for my bottles, I only clean them with PBW and rinse. I have been brewing for 2 years and never sanitized my bottles. I also work at a Micro Brewery and we only rinse the bottles with plain water before bottling. As long as there is no food particulate in the bottle, you should have no problem. After all, beer has alcohol and CO2 in it, not much tends to thrive in those conditions.  Good Luck

Back