• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

HERMS Heat Exchange Config Question

D

davidliles

I have just built a HERMS and wanted to get opinions from others regarding the heat exchange configuration.

My HLT and heat exchange are the same kettle (14 gallon SS) and currently the in/out put of the exchange come out the top. I don't want to notch the lid so currently I can not keep the lid on the kettle which results in having to constantly heat the HLT due to heat lose.

I would like to modify the kettle so the input is low, near the drain valve and the return is up high. The exchange is made from 60 feet of 3/8 soft copper with 1/2 adapters. My thought was to weld couplers to the kettle and then use compression fittings to connect the exchange to the kettle....

I am curious to hear other opinions or suggestions as to my situation... and I prefer welded couplers apposed to weldless... thoughts.

Thanks,
David

Back