• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Brewing Today - Caramel Apple Amber Ale

Brewmex41

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I'll be brewing this recipe later today. Just wanted to share this recipe.

I am going to be topping off with 96oz Apple Juice and one can frozen concentrate Apple Juice, but those ingredients are not available in Beersmith. Also, the Crystal 60 malt is actually the British malt, rather than the American.

I will post pics and results as I have them!

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Caramel Apple Amber
Brewer: Domingo
Asst Brewer: Zephyr
Style: American Amber Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Estimated OG: 1.061 SG
Estimated Color: 17.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 38.2 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 74.5 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                  Name                                    Type          #        %/IBU       
8 lbs 8.0 oz          Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)          Grain        1        81.0 %       
1 lbs                Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)    Grain        2        9.5 %       
0.75 oz              Magnum [13.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min        Hop          3        38.2 IBUs   
1 lbs                Candi Sugar, Amber [Boil for 10 min](90. Dry Extract  4        9.5 %       
1.0 pkg              Safale American  (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)  Yeast        5        -           

Mash @ 156* 60 Minutes

I should have something to post soon. It's been cold crashing in my fridge for about 2 weeks now, just gotta drink up the Red X beer I did, as I only have one keg.

Update: not what I wanted. I wanted it to be sweeter, the Apple juice tartness is overpowering.
I think ill add some lactose. I have 1/2 lb left over I'm im trying to decide if I want to add 1/4 lb or add the whole 1/2 lb (boiled and cooled) to the keg.

Brewmex41 said:
Update: not what I wanted. I wanted it to be sweeter

This might be a good time to experiment with truvia (stevia) or sucralose. Neither are fermentable. Both can be briefly boiled.

I don't like the taste lol. I like widmer's drop top amber ale and they use lactose, so I think it would work for this, i am hoping.

Back