Author Topic: Is my beer ok  (Read 9042 times)

Offline Damrite

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Is my beer ok
« on: March 04, 2014, 03:10:54 PM »
Hi everyone, as I was pitching the yeast in my carboy, the cap of my yeast bottle accidently felt in the carboy, I sanitized my stirring spoon and remove the cap which was flotting on the top.
Is that beer still ok or I should throw it to down the the drain...
 >:(

Offline morticaixavier

• Jonathan Fuller
  • BeerSmith Master Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Re: Is my beer ok
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 03:13:36 PM »
probably it will be fine. certainly don't dump it. the yeast will outcompete anything that was on the cap and you will consume the finished beer before anything that might have gotten in has a chance to make it gross (or delicious if you like sour beers and get lucky).
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"

- A. Einstein

Offline Scott Ickes

• Brewing creatively and sharing the results!
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 03:36:20 PM »
When I pitch my yeast from the yeast starter flask, I once forgot about the stirrer bar in the bottom of the flask.  It went "bloop" into my wort.  I fished it out with a sanitized spoon with no issues.

My normal practice for a long time was to wash and then sanitize my hands with star san and pour the yeast through my fingers to catch it.  I never had any problems doing it that way. 

However, I recently purchased a fairly strong magnet from harbor freight.  I hold it to the bottom of my flask as I'm pouring my yeast into the fermentor.  It holds the magnet to the bottom of the flask and I'm no longer coming into contact of the wort with my hands.  The magnet stays with the empty flask.  No more worrying about fishing it out or about contamination.
Kegs:
 Red IPA
 ESB
 Saison Solera
 Dubel (Aged in Malbec Wine Barrel
Aging:
 80 Shilling (In bourbon barrel)
Bottled
 Peppermint Patty Stout
 Wee Heavy

Scott Ickes
https://creativebrewing.wordpress.com

Offline Damrite

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 05:52:46 PM »
I'm glad to hear that it should still be drinkable, if it turn sour i'll find out what it taste like, but for sure I won't age this beer, I will kill asap... thanks everyone for the feedback   ;)

Offline Scott Ickes

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 09:06:17 PM »
I saw a recent post about an accidently soured beer.   I don't remember what thread, but the reply was something like, "just because it was contaminated, don't automatically dismiss it.  You might have accidently created a great soured beer.  Give it some time and taste it.  It might be a winner anyhow."

Kegs:
 Red IPA
 ESB
 Saison Solera
Aging:
Bottled
 Peppermint Patty Stout
 Wee Heavy

Scott Ickes

Offline Damrite

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 10:02:37 PM »
I will learn by my mistake, just glad to hear that have some forgiveness, will see how it turn out. thanks :)

Offline Scott Ickes

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 11:41:25 PM »
By the way, I doubt that you will have infected it.  I think it will turn out great.
Kegs:
 Red IPA
 ESB
 Saison Solera
Aging:
Bottled
 Peppermint Patty Stout
 Wee Heavy

Scott Ickes

Offline durrettd

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 09:01:32 AM »
I knocked a scrub brush into my cooled wort two weeks ago. I pitched two packs of re-hydrated W 34/70 into about six gallons and fermented at 50 F. Final gravity is at 1.010, so I'm declaring fermentation complete - or at least close enough. No infection is evident so far. I'll run the beer off to a keg today and cold crash it instead of letting it clear in primary.

It looks like I dodged a bullet, but I'm chilling it as early as possible and will keep it at 35 F to minimize any chances of undesirable critters getting a foothold.

If you're bottling and decide to follow a similar strategy, you'll have to keep your fingers crossed for an additional two or three weeks while the bottles carbonate.

With a healthy pitch of yeast the risk of an undesirable microbe ruining the beer is low, but getting fermentation finished and getting the beer chilled will reduce the risk further.

Offline morticaixavier

• Jonathan Fuller
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 09:03:13 AM »
I saw a recent post about an accidently soured beer.   I don't remember what thread, but the reply was something like, "just because it was contaminated, don't automatically dismiss it.  You might have accidently created a great soured beer.  Give it some time and taste it.  It might be a winner anyhow."

I had this one.

this was a nice simple little farmhouse/table beer that I added an lb of persian mulberries to. you cans see what happened. the beer looked tremedously gross in the fermenter with the berries floating in it but it came out a fantastic pinkish hue with lovely perfumey sweet mulberry aroma and flavor with tart lacto, funky barnyardy brett, and just a hint of acetic. It was maybe one of my favorite beers so far.

- A. Einstein

Offline Damrite

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 08:41:35 PM »
A little bit of whip cream on this one...

would you be able to repeat the same mistake and do the same beer again?
I guess contamination is react different on every batch.

Offline morticaixavier

• Jonathan Fuller
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 11:50:55 PM »
A little bit of whip cream on this one...

would you be able to repeat the same mistake and do the same beer again?
I guess contamination is react different on every batch.

I doubt I could duplicate that beer. the base beer? sure but sours are a different beast. each is unique. I'm not all that into duplicating results anyway. I like to see what might happen.

- A. Einstein

Offline RiverBrewer

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2014, 05:58:40 PM »

However, I recently purchased a fairly strong magnet from harbor freight.  I hold it to the bottom of my flask as I'm pouring my yeast into the fermentor.  It holds the magnet to the bottom of the flask and I'm no longer coming into contact of the wort with my hands.  The magnet stays with the empty flask.  No more worrying about fishing it out or about contamination.

Scott..... I think this is your best post ever!
Enjoy good beer daily.....Hell is a dry town!

Offline Scott Ickes

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2014, 06:50:30 PM »

Scott..... I think this is your best post ever!

Awwwww shucks...

Thank you.
Kegs:
 Red IPA
 ESB
 Saison Solera
Aging:
Bottled
 Peppermint Patty Stout
 Wee Heavy

Scott Ickes

Offline Damrite

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2014, 10:27:17 PM »
My only worry is my airlock is barely bubbling, and it's already 4 days....  >:(

Offline Scott Ickes

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2014, 10:53:13 PM »
You may have missed the most intense part of the fermentation.  It may have occurred overnight and/or while you were at work.  I've seen some ales finish the most active part of the fermentation in 24 to 36 hours.
Kegs:
 Red IPA
 ESB
 Saison Solera
Aging:
Bottled
 Peppermint Patty Stout
 Wee Heavy

Scott Ickes