• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Cherrywood Smoked Malt

all grain

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
    Cherrywood Smoked Malt    just wanted to know if anyone has used this before and what they think of it. also would it be good as a 1 or 2 pound addition  for flavor? 

I just talked to one of the employees at my lhbs about this yesterday.  He used it recently.  He said it's a little smokier than he likes, but not undrinkable.  He said if he were to use it again, he'd back it off a little bit.  I think he used 1.5 lbs.  A little smoke goes a long way.

I personally haven't used it.  The main reason, is because I've never tasted a smoked beer that I liked.  But, that is just personal preference.  They all seemed to be too heavy on the smoke for me.  When I taste my friends, I'll let you know what I think of it.

thanks for the input, i'm thinking of a smoked chocolate vanilla thing and had one a while back that was the first porter I liked.   

We have smoked milled grains using several hardwoods including Cherry.  Depending on the smoke level, I can't tell the difference in woods.  The lighter the smoke in lighter beers (smoked Pale or Martzen) I found I like Cherry, Almond and Apple.  Dark beers I just taste smoke but do love Alder wood.    I do not like peat smoked grains.  Blerg!

I used 12oz (11.5% of grain bill) of Briess Cherry Wood Smoked Malt in a 3.1% ABV English Mild. It came out great, just enough smoked flavor (at least for me) that you could detect it without being over powering.

Dave

Back