• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

No One Likes Our Homebrew!

Willards

Brewer
Reaction score
My wife and I are 6 extract batches into homebrewing, and we really enjoy our stuff.  There is a slight homebrew taste due to Indiana's fickle weather and poor apartment insulation, but we've never had any serious off flavors (e.g. infections, esters from high temp, oxidation, tannins, dms, etc.). 

That said, our friends' typical response is "it's alright", or sometimes, they don't even finish it.  We don't know a whole lot of craft beer drinkers, but I hate to use that as an excuse for our failure to impress. 

Does homebrew taste turn off your friends and family?  What can I do about this?
And are there any styles I can brew that BMC and wine drinkers tend to appreciate?

Its pretty hard to convert a hard core water drinker. Think about it like that's their idea of taste.  That's what beer is supposed to taste like for them and they just don't understand the flavor thing. Its just weird to them.  I have told them, sorry, I cant help you, literally.  Then there is the bunch that wouldn't think it was good if it was an award winner.  They just don't like it just because they know its homemade.  This is the same crew that faints at the sight of blood.  If you enjoy it that's all that counts.  That's why we do it.

certainly don't take it personally but it's easy enough to produce a beer that, if you don't tell them they won't know it's homebrew.

for BMC pick a lighter style, something without too much hop presence, an american wheat, american pale ale (with toned down hops), kolsch, or cream ale. Pitch plenty of yeast. keep the temp under control (for the majority of ales this means keeping it ~64f) and then be patient. Let it ferment till its done (gravity reading stays stable over several days) and then give it another week before bottling.

If you can get it cold first do so, get it as close to freezing as you can for 2-4 days and then transfer to your bottling bucket with priming sugar (or your keg if that's how you roll) and package. wait till it's carbed

then pour carefully (do this in the other room so they don't see the plain bottle) so as not disturb the settled yeast. I think most of what people think of these days as 'homebrew' flavor is really just not waiting till the yeast settles.

Try having a tasting party.  Have your friends bring over a 22 oz. bottle of their favorite beer.  Mix in some of your 22 oz. homebrews.  Put them in lunch sack sized paper bags.  Mix the bottles up on the table and mark each with a number and have a blind tasting of each.

They will have difficulty finding watered down beers (Coors, Miller or Bud) in those size bottles. 

You could also do a blind tasting with 12 oz. bottles too, if you want.  Expect some Buds, Bud lights, etc., if you do this.

Let them rate the beers and see how your creations stack up against other beers.

You won't know what you're drinking either, so you will be able to rate your own beer without any predudice.

I suggest downloading and printing out some judges sheets or create your own.  Since you won't know the style, you can rate them according to appearance, carbonation, clarity, head, mouthfeel, aroma and flavor.

At the same time, you'll be helping to educate your friends beer palates.  The best part will be if one of your friends rates one of your homebrews better than the others.

If you make it fun for your friends, I think you'll be surprised at the results!

Scott brings up a very good point - blind-taste some brews that include commercial brews and some of your own stuff - you'll be surprised when you pick a favorite and it turns out to be yours, or better yet; someone else pick a fav and it's yours!

I was surprised when I started practice-judging. Downloaded the BJCP guide and some score sheets and just started practicing. I'd have my wife pour 4 small glasses - 3 commercial examples and one homebrew (same style, of course) and I was surprised a couple of what I thought were my favorite commercial APAs were not much better than my own! I seriously could not tell which one was mine - a real eye opener.

It's been said many times; judging (even informally) will help you make better beer, no doubt. Having it judged in local competitions will also go a long way to improving your beer.

I have had one of my drinking buds say that he prefers store bought craft beer to my home brew and to that I said that I appreciate your honesty. but later that day I poured him one of mine without him knowing and he drank it and to my surprise he said and I quote "see this is what you should brew, I like this stuff." I said nothing at all, but my ego grew a little that day.   

No, you need to tell him.  Let him realize that he may have a sub-concious bias against homebrew that is causing him to miss out on some really good beers.  Let him open his mind...

Beer_Tigger said:
No, you need to tell him.  Let him realize that he may have a sub-concious bias against homebrew that is causing him to miss out on some really good beers.  Let him open his mind...

+1

totally agree. Break the stereotype.

I've got a mate who only drinks fizzy yellow crap. He dislikes any beer that has any taste to it. I go to Belgium with him at least once a year and he hates the beer still only drinks crap.  I see it as a compliment when he doesn't drink my homebrew. If I ever made one he liked I'd be horrified and I'd probably pour it down the sink before anybody else tried some.

Roadrocket said:
I've got a mate who only drinks fizzy yellow crap. He dislikes any beer that has any taste to it. I go to Belgium with him at least once a year and he hates the beer still only drinks crap.  I see it as a compliment when he doesn't drink my homebrew. If I ever made one he liked I'd be horrified and I'd probably pour it down the sink before anybody else tried some.

LMAO!!!!!!

i agree with the blind taste test and i may implement that on my parents. everyone else in my life ends up loving my beer and tell me they go home and drink a commercial beer and are very disappointed in it. my parents on the other hand only like Budweiser Select and it stresses me out so bad!!!!!!!

Again thank you for that idea and you really helped me out also!!!

Back