• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Carbonation Fields on Recipe

ibrewalot

Master Brewer
Reaction score
How about an update to the carbonation fields to include Nitrogen?  I remembered today I hadn't changed the last two recipes I'd entered from priming sugar to force carbonated (a feature I was impressed was there in the first place!).  When I went to add it it wouldn't let me put in the number to reach the PSI I used to force carbonate/nitrogenate it...I use 32 PSI and it only allows single digits.  Also the pulldown only allows for carbonating with CO2; nothing about nitrogen.  

I can always add it in the notes, but it'd sure be nice to be able to put in the PSI I use (as opposed to volumes...easier on the brain, but I can put in the numbers until I get the calculated PSI field to match what I want) and to be able to indicate I used Nitrogen/CO2 mix instead of just CO2.

Along the same lines (kegging differences) I'm currently using .3 for the number of "weeks" I age the beer since it only has to force carbonate for 3 (or so) days before it's ready.  What are others that are kegging doing in this field?

Thanx for the consideration... :)

Hi,
 Carbonation is a tough one since there are so many variations.  Some people use honey, sugar, fruit, ... the possibilities are endless.  I never even thought of Nitrogen!  If you have any good data/references on volumes -> nitrogen conversion I would like to have them for the next version.

I put a field called "Used" in the carbonation section so you can record what you actually used for carbonation if you did not use one of the supported calculated methods.  This is probably a good place to record your pressure.

You can certainly put parts of a week in for aging.  I personally put the time I normally age it before drinking.  In most cases, even though I can carbonate and drink it in a few days I let it sit for a few weeks to settle out.  Stout is probably the one exception since you can drink it pretty early and it still tastes great.

Cheers!
Brad

Ressurecting a way old thread, but the basic way for plugging the carb values in a N2 mix is Dalton's Law.

Ptot = Pgas1 + Pgas2 + PgasN...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalton%27s_law

To keep the math easy-ish, a 25% CO2 / 75% N2 mix at 40 psi should carbonate like CO2 at 10psi. (This is assuming it's mixed by weight making the molar fractions be close enough for my I took  College Chemistry back in the 90s math)
If it had  "Force Carb with 25/75" in addition to  the Keg which I think in the background uses a formula with the temp to determine pressure needed for the desired volumes.

But yeah, I found this old post trying to see if the Beer Gas or other user customizable CO2/N2 Mix drop downs were available.

For my purposes, pressure shown in Beer Smith x 4 is a baseline regulator setting.

Back