• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

What do you do with your spent grain?

Maybe they mix the yeast in afterwards into the animal feed. They've got plenty of it, and it's loaded with vitamins.

As a dairy goat farmer, I feed dried yeast in my processed feeds.  There is nothing bad about using spent grains to feed livestock.  This is a push by big breweries and feed stock companies who see it as a threat to their markets.  Local to me, the big brewery (Budweiser) sells the spent grains to a large feed stock manufacturer (Kent) who uses it as a cheap filler in their livestock feeds.  They feed threatened by farmers finding cheaper sources of feed and so put pressure on the FDA to find ways to disrupt the activity.  The fix that the FDA suggests, drying and packaging the spent grains, has been studied and is the WORST possible solution to moving the grains from small breweries to the farmer.

The fix that the FDA suggests, drying and packaging the spent grains, has been studied and is the WORST possible solution to moving the grains from small breweries to the farmer.

That's the point. By making compliance prohibitively expensive, small breweries either become criminals or trash the grain. The people who sell it (and have the ears of the politicians) it win.

There was a big article on the subject in the local paper including interviews with small-time farmers who would literally be put out of business if they couldn't get free spent grain from small breweries in the winter.

Politics sucks.

I feed some of the spent grains to our chickens and the remainder goes into the compost pile with chicken manure. 

Saw this tonight on our local Reno, NV CBS station and I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Great Basin Brewing in Reno donates the spent grains to Baker Ranch's cattle operation and both of them are ticked off. Thank God we have the USDA to keep our cattle safe from that terrible poisonous mash..

http://www.ktvn.com/story/25267685/cattle-feed-regulation-change-could-affect-ranchers-brewers

Scott Ickes said:
It states in the article that it's just spent grains with a little yeast added in.  Yeast? 

On a commercial scale the spent yeast can be problematic for sewer systems. It's often added to the spent grain bins, instead.

This proposal was actually about issues with distillers grains but the debated draft specifically mentions brewers. Distillers have different criteria from brewers when it comes to pesticide levels and other noxious field chemicals. Brewery standards call for lower field levels and malting further removes them to undetectable levels.

The outcry from all sectors of the ag and brewing industry made the FDA pull the proposal for revision. We're safe, for now.

copper said:
I raise redworms and they are really liking the grains....
I am wondering, if the grains are sour, mine are ,and you feed worms is it still ok or do the grains have to be fresh and not soured. by sour I mean they stink, witch happens fairly quickly to my wet grains after the mashing.

Maine Homebrewer said:
The fix that the FDA suggests, drying and packaging the spent grains, has been studied and is the WORST possible solution to moving the grains from small breweries to the farmer.

That's the point. By making compliance prohibitively expensive, small breweries either become criminals or trash the grain. The people who sell it (and have the ears of the politicians) it win.

There was a big article on the subject in the local paper including interviews with small-time farmers who would literally be put out of business if they couldn't get free spent grain from small breweries in the winter.

Politics sucks.

Well they have been trying to create jobs

Back