Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Suggestions / Re: Improve Brew Timer
« Last post by scubabuzz on Today at 06:03:49 AM »
The larger font would be nice on the desktop version.  Maybe add a configuration option to put the mash timer and the boil timer on tabs similar to the mobile app.  That would  allow the fonts to be bigger and allow the user to switch back and forth.
All Grain/Advanced / Re: No Sparge brewing
« Last post by KellerBrauer on Today at 05:55:09 AM »
Greetings kimbo - I would caution: yes you can over sparge.  If your final runnings fall below 1.010 SG, you will begin to draw tannins from the grain husks and that will affect the taste of your beer.

Also, Bob and Oginme offer great advise.  I would add: if you choose to use BeerSmith to determine the amount of acid to add to your mash, take the amount given and devide by half.  I can?t explain why, but BS over estimates the acid needed.

Lastly, I prefer to use Lactic Acid to acidify.  I only use a amall amount and it imparts no noticeable flavor at all.

Good luck!
All Grain/Advanced / Re: No Sparge brewing
« Last post by Oginme on Today at 03:34:45 AM »
Many people do no sparge brewing to get a more malty flavor from their grains.  It will not be as efficient as standard mashing techniques, but the trade off is the more rounded malt flavor.  As BOB357 stated, mashing in a bag will allow you to squeeze out more of the wort and improve your efficiency by an appreciable amount.

Your pH is too high post mash.  For good enzyme activity and more efficient conversion of the starches, you want to be in the 5.2 to 5.7 pH range, ideally in the 5.2 to 5.4 range.  You can use Citric acid, but beware that if you need too much, you may impart a citrus tang to your beer.  The use of a water adjustment spreadsheet such as that in BeerSmith, Bru'n water, or EZWater will help in determining the amount of acid needed, but to use them properly, you will need a water analysis to get the mineral and salt content.
Reviews / Re: 5.2 pH Stabilizer
« Last post by Ck27 on Today at 01:50:54 AM »
The 5.2 stabilizer is a blend of two salts. They are neutralized versions of phosphoric acid. They are monosodium phosphate (Na H2 PO4) and disodium phosphate (Na2HPO4). If you're lucky enough to have a water profile that matches these additions, it may actually do something for you.
Unfortunately, most water profiles do not fit these salts. There is no such thing as a magic bullet that "locks" Ph to a certain point. Water chemistry requires a start point based on your water profile and grain bill. Acidulated malt or lactic acid in varying amounts can compensate to bring your mash Ph up into a desirable range. Dark beers may actually require soda rather than lactic to bring the Ph down to a desirable range.
Therefore the additions in this "stabilizer" are only beneficial if your grain bill and water profile are already relatively close to the target you're seeking.
Five-Star makes some great products. Unfortunately this is not one of them.

Yeah my well water is burton water effectively it just has a PH of like 6.5-7.8 idk why but the water never changes the PH just fluctuates and I check it with a well calibrated meter.
Brewing Discussion / Re: Sulfur problems with my Belgian
« Last post by Ck27 on Today at 01:48:26 AM »
Patience grasshopper :)

Define how long you think I should wait?? it would greatly help, as ill just add it to my calendar on my pc and walk away and wait until the time has passed :)
Reviews / Re: 5.2 pH Stabilizer
« Last post by BOB357 on Today at 01:05:52 AM »
I have no doubt that 5.2 works for many. It is manufactured by a very reputable company. Just be aware that pH isn't the only thing of major importance in the mash.
Brewing Discussion / Re: Sulfur problems with my Belgian
« Last post by BOB357 on Today at 12:58:51 AM »
Patience grasshopper :)
Reviews / Re: Big Mouth Bubbler plastic carboy
« Last post by BOB357 on Today at 12:54:08 AM »
Nice being able to easily clean the wide mouth. However, the lids are VERY difficult to remove. Does anyone have any suggestions for making lid removal easier?

That is a problem that can be solved by using a bit of keg lube or other food grade lubricant on the threads.
All Grain/Advanced / Re: No Sparge brewing
« Last post by BOB357 on Today at 12:48:49 AM »
If you want great efficiency from no-sparge, get a bag to fit your MLT, mill your grain much finer and do a mashout.. The other alternative is to forget the MLT and go to BIAB full volume.
All Grain/Advanced / Re: No Sparge brewing
« Last post by Ck27 on Yesterday at 08:58:39 PM »
Hi Guys
Just a few questions regarding No Sparge brewing.
Question - Is the brew efficiency low when you go to " no sparge brewing " i got a smaller than expected brew the last time i brewed , but was much easier & a big improvement on flavour.
I think i was sparging for to long and extracting undesirable flavours from grains.
Anyway no sparge brewing is easy and i get better results.
Question - is citric acid O/K to lower water PH, the mains PH was 7.2 the PH after mash was 6.4 should i adjust water PH or is this O/K.

My setup

You can't over extract unless you go to great lengths to do so, and as far as no sparge goes it's not as good,you would leave quite a good deal of sugars on grains. In my opinion it's inferior.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10