Author Topic: Batch Sparge Temperature too low  (Read 986 times)

Offline reim0027

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
Batch Sparge Temperature too low
« on: August 31, 2013, 06:29:32 PM »
So, I add the recommended 168F sparge water and mix it well. I took the final temperature and it was 159F. Is that normal, or should I bump the initial sparge water up?  Or, do I need to change the settings to my mash profiles?

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh.  Beneath this mask, there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.
~V

Offline Scott Ickes

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • Brewing quality homebrew and giving it away!
Re: Batch Sparge Temperature too low
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 11:36:59 PM »
The 168F is what you want your sparge water to bring the temp up to.  You need to put your water in at the proper temp so that it equalizes at 168F.  I usually have to be about 190F to hit 168F.
In bottles:
Soured Dry Stout,Brews Brothers Porter Clone,Gingerbread Lager,Red IPA, Wines(Banana&Plum),Dry Stout,Scottish Ale,Tootsie Roll Stout
Barrel Aging: RIS/Belgian Strong Blend
Kegged:Choc.RIS,Blueberry Saison
Fermenting:Freak Cake Clone,Collaboration Porter
On Deck:Gingerbread Ale

Offline reim0027

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 06:51:21 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  I added 188 degree sparge water and obtained 168ish final sparge temperature (lucky I guess).

Is hitting that 168 temperature very important, of am I worrying about nothing?

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh.  Beneath this mask, there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.
~V

Offline Scott Ickes

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • Brewing quality homebrew and giving it away!
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 09:01:01 PM »
Well.  Yes and no.  If you're too high, you will extract some tannins that will put a husky bitterness flavor to your beer.  Not a good thing.  If you are too low, you won't extract as many sugars from the mash.  Also, at 168F you denature the enzymes, but I've been led to believe by many experienced homebrewers not to sweat that too much, since boiling the wort will denature them anyhow.

Most homebrewers that are using a cooler for a mash tun, are adding there sparge water at higher temperatures and it's more common to miss low instead of high.
In bottles:
Soured Dry Stout,Brews Brothers Porter Clone,Gingerbread Lager,Red IPA, Wines(Banana&Plum),Dry Stout,Scottish Ale,Tootsie Roll Stout
Barrel Aging: RIS/Belgian Strong Blend
Kegged:Choc.RIS,Blueberry Saison
Fermenting:Freak Cake Clone,Collaboration Porter
On Deck:Gingerbread Ale