• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Using Heather

jjones

Apprentice
Reaction score
Has anyone used heather in anything other than Heather Scotch Ale? If so what was it and how did it turn out?

I am considering doing a Belgian type beer and using heather instead of hops.........

Sorry I don't have an answer for you, but I do have a question for you.

Are you using dried or fresh heather blossoms?  If fresh, where did you get them.

And a general question, how much dried heather flowers to be equivalent to 1 pound of fresh?

I have used heather several times in a heather ale.  Mine were more on the Scottish side as is typical.  Heather can be very vegetatal.  I mix the bittering addition with hops.  The first time I used Saaz and the second time I used EKG.  The second batch was milder on the heather and more well balanced overall.  My recipe and notes are on http://jomebrew.doesntexist.com/jomebrew/jomebrew.htm

Heathers Nectar was extremely well received by the folks who asked me to brew a heather ale.  I enjoyed it as well.  I preferred the maltiness of the second batch but the first had much more heather.  I did a poor job at measuring the heather the first batch.

I get my heather locally.  There are several plants around where I work.  I trim the brightest greenest tips.  I add ina few flowers for good measure.

Cheers!

@ Beer_Tigger- I plan on using dried, from what I have read on using dried or fresh you would be using the same amout....

@ jomebrew-thank you for the info, just a quick question did you use heather nectar instead of heather tips or did you use them together?

Heathers Nectar is a bit of risque wordsmithing for the beer name.  I only used bright green heather tips.  The first batch I harvested and used them in a day or two.  The second batch I harvested the same super green tips then sealed them with my food saver and froze them.  They were frozen for about a month.

gotcha, thank you. I will let know how it goes.....

Back