• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Efficiency Question

Canadian Brewer

Apprentice
Reaction score
So, I put in a recipe that I had previously brewed and I had set my equipment to 77% efficiency, and 10 gallons.

After I put in the amount of grains (19lbs total for a 10 gallon batch) (batch size is set to 10 gallons, and equipment profile is set for 10 gallons) the Beersmith Chart showed the following:

Est Original Gravity  1.053
Est Boil Gravity        1.045
Est final Gravity        1.011

I put in the measured actuals:
Measured Boil OG      1.048
Measured OG            1.055
Measured FG            1.015

But the field for efficiency (Called Actual efficiency when you select the field, but displays as measured efficiency) calculates itself to 40.2%.  I think its calulating on a 5 gallon batch, but all the other calulations are correct for a 10 gallon. 

I'm having this problem too.  I just brewed a beer, and here's how the stats are coming out:

Estimated Efficiency: 74%
Estimated OG: 1.046
Estimated FG: 1.011

Actual OG: 1.048
Actual FG: 1.011
Measured Efficiency: 71.8%

Since my actual OG came out ahead of my estimated OG, how is my measured efficiency lower?

Post a screen shot with the numbers; that would help. 

In my case, my lautering E% is 78%, but my brewhouse EE% is 58% b/c I choose to leave a gallon of gunk in the boiler. 

Volumes collected play a role in total efficiency. 

Here's a screenshot of my calculations.  Let me know if you need a different shot to help resolve this.

efficiencyscreenshot.jpg

Attachments

• Efficiency Screen Shot.jpg
    Efficiency Screen Shot.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 865
Canadian Brewer said:
So, I put in a recipe that I had previously brewed and I had set my equipment to 77% efficiency, and 10 gallons.
What's happened here CB is that you have customised your fields on the 'Recipe Design' tab  but left an important one out called 'Measured Batch Size'. Either add it in and type in your number or you can alternatively do this by going to the 'Fermentation' tab where you'll see it there under 'Into Fermenter'.

Hopefully this fixes your problem too zennie.

Hi,
  Yes - it is important to note that the actual efficiency numbers are a function of the measured volumes as well as the measured gravities.  You need the volumes to match up as well as the gravities.

Brad

Back