• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

CO2 Leak - Help

tdibratt

Brewer
Reaction score
Well I must say I am still struggling with this problem. Thought I had it figured out. After the initial CO2 loss, I started to shut the CO2 off at the tank and see if the system holds at 10 PSI. It was not, so I proceeded to replace all rings on the one tank as I recall when it first happened the one tank had no hiss and the other did. Was holding OK for probably 36 hours. Now again this morning 0 PSI. This time both tanks have some hiss still in them. Anyway, starsan and dish soap with a brush show no signs of bubbles or leaks. I used lube on the CO2 posts rings and the main lid ring. Have not on the OUT post, I suppose I could but again no bubbles. I also checked the regulator by spraying it's relief and around where it mounts the tank. Nothing. Any ideas?

When you say tanks, I assume you mean Corny Kegs. Here's a good way to trace down CO2 leaks. First, disconnect the CO2 connectors from the kegs. Turn the valve on the CO2 cylinder on and then completely off. You are now checking everything but the kegs. Any leaks will cause a fairly rapid drop in your gauges because without the kegs you're dealing with a very small volume of gas. If the pressure holds, you have eliminated everything except the kegs and their seals. Don't forget to check the O rings around the posts and remember that there can be cracks or pinholes in the keg itself.

If the pressure leaks down, turn the cylinder valve back on and use the Starsan solution to try and isolate the leak(s). If you are unable to find leak(s) using this method, Remove the cylinder, regulator, manifold if you use one and all of the CO2 lines and put them on the counter next your kitchen sink with the CO2 valve off. Fill the sink and submerge the manifold and line assemblies and turn the gas on. Be sure the CO2 cylinder is upright whenever the valve is on. You will see bubbles anywhere there are leaks. If you are using a manifold, turn the valves off and on while watching for bubbles. If you prefer you can use this method first. Sometimes getting all of the gas plumbing out of a kegerator or keezer is difficult, thus the earlier steps.

If you don't see bubbles the only things left are the regulator, tank to regulator fitting/seal, tank valve and, if the top of the tank is removable, the seal where the two parts meet. Check the stem of the valve on the tank as you open and close the valve. I have found leaks there as well as the stems on the manifold valves.

Take your time and be thorough.

man, those leaks can be tough to find. i struggled for the first few months, but once you find 'em you'll be good to go.  use any shutoff valves to isolate your various components as Bob mentioned and be patient!  good luck!

I feel your pain. I need to track down a leak in my system too.

I just fixed a leak.  It was in the ball valve.  Bad ball valve.  Didn't expect that.

jomebrew said:
I just fixed a leak.  It was in the ball valve.  Bad ball valve.  Didn't expect that.

I've had 3 of those. All 3 only leaked in the open position.

Back