• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Barley Wine

BeerSmith

Staff member
Administrator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Something to watch out for...

I had one user (some time ago) who had serious problems making his first Barley Wine so I thought I would post this as a warning to others...

You will NOT get the same efficiency for a batch of barley wine as you do on a normal brew.  Barley wine has roughly 2-3 times the amount of grain that a normal brew would have, but roughly the same amount of mash and sparge water (combined).

The net effect is a loss of 10-15% overall brewing efficiency (i.e. if you normally have 75% efficiency your Barley Wine efficiency might be as low as 60%!).

The net effect - PLEASE lower your brewhouse efficiency by 10-15% from the normal value if you want to hit the correct target gravity.

Another quick tip - if you take second runnings (i.e. after you finished sparging your barley wine) from the spent grains you will still have strong enough wort to make a nice 1.035 (or so) gravity regular beer.  To do this is called "Party Gyle" brewing - making more than one beer of differing strength from the same grains.

Cheers!
Brad

I recently brewed a major Imperial IPA and also noticed some loss of efficiency. Luckily I was warned about it in advance, so I lowered by estimated efficiency from 80% to 70% -- and I hit my target within 0.001 points! Some things that also help, lautering very slowly (I think mine took 2 hours), starting out with more wort and boiling longer (I did a 2-hour boil starting with 8.5 gallons instead of an 80-minute boil starting with 7.5 gallons), and occasionally raking the grain bed about halfway down. It's a lot of extra work, but it should be worth it.

Back