• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Have a question: Michelob Ultra etc

G

gtox

How do the big brewers make something like that? How do you make a "beer" with 90 calories that has some beer like flavor. Any one have any idea?

It is very Hard to do! VODO for sure! Here is a recipe that I brewed recently that came in at 120 calories. I cant say it tasted to much like beer (More like water), but it got drank all the same. 120 Calories, and 3% ABV. It is one of the smallest beer's I have ever made! It has to be better living through Chemicals is all I can think of...

Tootsie Roll said it best: The World May Never Know!

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Spuds Evil Clone II
Brewer: Preston Brown
Style: Lite American Lager
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0) It's a Spudweiser Clone, what do you expect it will taste like!

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal     
Boil Size: 6.92 gal
Estimated OG: 1.028 SG
Estimated Color: 2.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 8.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 76.60 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type        % or IBU     
4.0 oz        Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM)                      Adjunct      4.35 %       
3 lbs        Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)            Grain        52.17 %     
2 lbs        Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM)                    Grain        34.78 %     
8.0 oz        Rice, Minute Rice (1.0 SRM)              Grain        8.70 %       
0.25 oz      Hallertauer [4.80 %]  (60 min) (First WortHops        5.2 IBU     
0.25 oz      Hallertauer [4.80 %]  (20 min)            Hops        2.9 IBU     
0.25 oz      Hallertauer [4.80 %]  (0 min)            Hops          -           
0.50 tsp      Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min)                Misc                     
2.00 tbsp    PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min)        Misc                     
1 Pkgs        Pilsner Lager (White Labs #WLP800)        Yeast-Lager               

Mash Schedule: (PB)  Double Infusion, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 5.75 lb
----------------------------
(PB)  Double Infusion, Light Body
Step Time    Name              Description                        Step Temp   
30 min        Protein Rest      Add 5.18 qt of water at 132.1 F    122.0 F     
60 min        Saccrification    Add 4.60 qt of water at 187.9 F    150.0 F     
10 min        Mash Out          Add 4.60 qt of water at 210.3 F    168.0 F     

The only thing different would be to find a more attenuating yeast. to make it drop farther and dry out.

Cheers

Preston

Back