• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Anyone get Banana from WLP029?

philm63

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Just racked my first Kolsch to the keg for some lagering, and the sample had a hint of what I perceived to be banana. Tasted green, as expected, but banana on the nose?

Blasted it with O2 and pitched the starter into a 1.050 5.5G batch on Sunday at 60 F and held it there for the first couple of days when activity started to slow significantly, then slowly raised it to 66 F over the next few days. Dropped totally clear on day 4. Airlock activity basically dropped off on day 5. Took a gravity reading on day 6 - 1.007. Next day, same thing. Couple more days to clean up, and crashed at 32 F, then racked to the keg with gelatin. Sanitation was very good, as usual.

Pretty normal brew, really, just never used this strain before. Anyone else get banana from this strain? And should it have dropped so clear so fast? Too much O2? (0.5 micron stone, 1L/min for 1 minute)

I'm drinking a beer right now that I used 029 on and no banana here but I'm not satisfied with the overall taste.
8# pilsner
1# white wheat
1#caramel 15
.7#corn syrup
1 oz cascade 35 min
1 oz Syrian goldings 5 min
mash 150 for 70 min
ferment @ 62 up tp 66 10 days  cc @ 55 for 10 days bottled for 10 days and now drinking.
don't get me wrong its vary drinkable but not as good as I expected.

It's actually been in the keg now since Wednesday night on gelatin, and yesterday I drew a pint off the keg to pull the gelatin out and moved it to the kegerator for another week or so of lagering - still had some slight banana on the nose. Emailed White Labs about this and hopefully they will chime in soon 'cause this is driving me nuts!

I have and I'm assuming you know about the sulfur smells that 029 gives off during fermentation. when I 1st smelt this yeast in action the 1st time I said no way this is going to clear up but it did. just by chance did you get the sulfur smell during fermentation. The reason I ask is maybe WL sent the wrong yeast and or the vial was marked wrong. 

I thought about that and to be honest, I wasn't here the first few days of fermentation (wife was running the controls) but there were no reported sulfur smells noted, and that's one of the possibilities I postulated in my email to White Labs; a mislabeled vial, while highly unlikely, is a possibility. Darn thing smells like a hefe. Not that that'd be a bad thing, but it's not what I was shooting for.

The word from White Labs is that I may have triggered excessive Isomyl Acetate production by going in so cold, possibly stressing the yeast which causes this ester production. This ester is the one responsible for the banana aroma.

I'm not sure everyone who makes a Kolsch reports this problem, and I know plenty who pitch at 60 F. Shooting for clean and crisp; I tend to go for the lower end of the temperature range, but 60 F for WLP029 is way low. Doable, but very low. This might also explain why it dropped so quickly.

wow, that is a good bit of info from WL. glad you investigated this because I'm planning to use 029 often in the next few brews and I have been trying to keep the fermentation temps low without much success. I guess I have been doing right by fermenting at 65-68.   

I've just kegged 19 liters of Kolsch made with 029. I fermented at the top end of the temperature range and it appears OK although it's not ready to drink yet. I hate the taste of bananas in a beer.

The Kolsch is on tap now, and the banana is gone, thankfully. It's crystal clear, very light in color, malty with hints of fruit, and crisp - very happy with this one. I'll use this yeast again, and I won't sweat it if I smell bananas next time.

I used Wyeast 2565 in my last Kolsch and it was fantastic. Try it next time. I also wonder how much wheat you used in your Kolsch.

This was my first Kolsch, and it was 10 Lbs Pilsner and 10 oz Vienna. Came out very clean and crisp. I'll definately brew this style again, and perhaps I'll try that 2565 yeast.

Back